Why become a member? ×

iRig HD2

ped

Hi chaps

Wasn't sure where to put this thread.

I've been sent one of these to review but I'm finding there's some latency when playing my bass into my iPad. It's only very slight but it's there.

Has anyone else got one and heard the same? We're talking a few milliseconds at most but playing along you can definitely feel the pops lagging slightly behind your playing.

The support team have been replying but only with very basic things like restart your iPad/update the OS/close other apps/reinstall Amplitude. None work and I'd tried them all already. I've given up with them.

Any experiences?

Have you tried setting the latency to ultra low in the AmpliTube settings? You can get it even lower if you run it inside Audiobus, as Audiobus locks the latency of apps running inside it and the settings allow you to go lower than most other apps will.

Edited by dannybuoy

I upgraded to the iRig Pro from the basic iRig and have no latency issues. I think it's the same D/A converter in the HD2? I use it with Bias, Amplitube, and that other app that Ashdown use. I did find quite a lot of latency with the regular iRig however. I find it best with Bias, but I think you have to pay for that!

Exactly the same with GarageBand. Really disappointing because the amp sims sound great but there's just this tiny delay which means for example when I turn the volume down I can hear the notes on my bass acoustically milliseconds before the processed signal.

The company wouldn't admit it openly but they said that 'most people won't notice' which seems to me an admission of guilt if anything. I guess in a band context I might not so much either but as a play through headphones a lot from my Roland VB99 this just feels really annoying. So much potential. I'll give them a chance to send me something else but as this is the latest generation I'd expect it to be their best effort.

Disappointed but I'd still be interested to hear if anyone else has the same issue.

P.S I e tried it on two different iPads. Haven't tried on laptop yet because that kind of defeats the point for me - might try my phone I suppose but being an older model I don't hold out much hope.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

[quote name='acidbass' timestamp='1478553382' post='3169907']
Hmm slightly concerning. I had one of these on my Christmas list for home practice with an iPad. Are you using an app e.g. Amplitube?
[/quote]
I’ve got the original one, <£9 Amazon Prime. Works a treat, no issues.

I'm using a focusrite itrack pocket as an interface and it works well. Originally intended for iPhone as it double jobs as a stand, but works well for the iPad too. I found the original iRig was stupidly noisy on my old iPhone with a lot of crosstalk, especially on guitar with distortion, but I haven't tried it on iPad yet...

Edited by Bigwan