Why become a member? ×

Thunder what now?

operative451

Hi! First time down in this bit...!

So i'm away from home for work as usual, in the meantime i and my musical colleague are working on our big epic 'we are the world' type Xmas song. I have kit with me and there are wav files going into dropboxes, which is much more fun than a premier inn telly.

I happened to wander into a local cash converters (in Gateshead) and there was a cheap Les Paul double type thing, in black, allegedly called a 'Thunder Supreme Voyager'. Being able to rationalise a 'well i need to record a slash-esque solo' and being on expenses so free food for the week, i thought why not, and bought it. It needed a home, it looked sad, and we all know they die if you don't play them, and looking at the frets if its been played at all it was probably in the shop..!

So anyway, a google later and it seems that the only place that ever sells these is cash converters, and listed as 'B' or 'returned' stock. I'm wondering if its something else, i'm sure a bit of nail polish remover and the logo will come off. Anyone seen any of these? Here' a link to a totally different cash converters:

http://webshop.cashconverters.co.uk/auction-item/1203770/thunder-supreme-voyager-electric-guitar-in-store-collection-only

I may do Things to it. I like the idea of a tele pickup and bridge thingy in the er, bridge, and a P90 in the neck...

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, those are cool! Lots of money though... :D I can see those maybe ending up in my jazz box at some point though! Current idea is tele bridge plate and pickup, with a les paul junior scratchplate in white, which may either cover the hole left by removing the neck pickup, or be chopped to fit the neck pickup in. I've seen some nice but not super expensive HB size P90 type thingies too.

I'd be tempted to leave the headstock as it is, because "Thunder Supreme Voyager" is such a gloriously tacky name!
Regarding pickups, I've just put a pair of Vanson '57 humbuckers from eBay into my Aria PE Studio which were less than £30. They're surprisingly nice sounding pickups, and I notice that they also do a humbucker sized alnico P90 that might be worth a try.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1479414252' post='3176437']
I'd be tempted to leave the headstock as it is, because "Thunder Supreme Voyager" is such a gloriously tacky name!
[/quote]

I have to admit I totally agree, and find it very hard to dislike something with such a marvellously naff title, and would probably find myself referring to it as 'the Thunder Supreme Voyager' ([i]never[/i] shortened!) so often that everyone hearing it would punch me.

Is it bad that I even like it for a band name? :blink: