Why become a member? ×

Darkglass Duality or Source Audio Aftershock?

sirmuppet

Hi all. Pretty much as the title suggests. Looking to get a dedicated drive pedal rather than using a channel on my Sansamp. Have narrowed it down to the Darkglass Duality or the Source Audio Aftershock.

Has anyone used both? Opinions? I've watched videos and read threads but I'd like some input as to opinions between the two. I play mostly in a covers band and the songs I'd use this on are by bands like Muse, Blur, Motorhead, The Black Keys etc...

The Darkglass for me sounds amazing but perhaps only one sound. The Source Audio is great too and will have a better range of tones but I can't hear anything as good on the fuzz side as the Darkglass. I'm also a little against having to rely on software to program it.

So with all that, what do you say?

The Aftershock is way more versatile, but it is a pain to program. If you put the time into it though you could end up with a bunch of presets for different tracks - Motorhead sounds pretty different to Muse for example! You can get some decent fuzz sounds from blending for example a Muff and Darkglass model in parallel.

If it's definitely a heavy fuzz you seek the Duality could work but forget trying to coax overdrive sounds from it - it desperately needs a gain control!

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1478464009' post='3169238']
The Aftershock is way more versatile, but it is a pain to program. If you put the time into it though you could end up with a bunch of presets for different tracks - Motorhead sounds pretty different to Muse for example! You can get some decent fuzz sounds from blending for example a Muff and Darkglass model in parallel.

If it's definitely a heavy fuzz you seek the Duality could work but forget trying to coax overdrive sounds from it - it desperately needs a gain control!
[/quote]

I think you've pretty much hit the nail on the head with what my issues looking at these pedals are. I was worried that if I dialled back the fuzz on the duality that I'd get a sort of farty sound. While the aftershock looks great, the options on it look mind boggling on the app, and in 10 years time will I still be able to get the app to program it? I mean I'm relying on an outside piece of tech to program it.

Any other pedals you could suggest? The only reason I was thinking of the two about were when I asked the question about drive pedals a while ago people suggested a few and these were the two that stuck out as being the best. The only other fuzz pedal I have seen that I really liked was the ZVEX Wooly Mammoth but that's expensive!

Not tried the MXR M85 but I do have the M80 which I love as a pre-amp but the distortion I really don't rate at all - sounds like the built in distortion on a cheap solid state guitar practice amp I had years ago, really fizzy and buzzy and not smooth or warm at all.
The YouTube demos of the M85 sound a million times better to me personally.

Edited by Painy

I've had both and sold both. The Duality is an awesome fuzz pedal - 'Hysteria' in a box(!) - but that's all it does, it is not an overdrive. The Aftershock provided lots of programming fun, with dual / combining channels etc but in the end it is a digital device and sounds like it.

For my money, nothing comes close to the Darkglass pedals for controllable, natural-sounding overdrive. I mostly use a B7K with a P-Bass and it never fails to deliver, bringing focus and definition that gives my bass its own space in a noisy twin guitar rock band. They're expensive but good stuff always is.

I have the Duality. I love it but it is very much just a fuzz rather than an overdrive. Not much subtlety to it either, which is why I bought it. The duality and frequencie options allow you to pair the fuzz to work well with whatever bass you are using which is great. I pair it with either the Aguilar Agro or the B3K as my overdrive pedal'. From looking at the specs though it looks like the Source Audio might offer a bit more variety.