Why become a member? ×

3 point bridge alternatives

addictedtobass

Best advice is wait until one appears for sale on BC. Not that long ago one appeared on an Epi EB bass here for very sensible money, they do appear regularly. With the supertone, the allen screws that lock the saddles laterally can present sharp edges to your palm. Fit them from underneath and the problem goes away.

i saw the epi bass with hipshot bridge ,if memory serves it was the one that the guy had sanded down on the top part. should have bought it ! will do as advised and keep trawling the for sale sections. but i think first port of call is to my local luthier to see if he can set up the bass so its at least there or there abouts. i think that would be a sensible starting point, at least i know i have a straight neck etc .
thanks so much for your sage advice fellas. i love the bass so if i have to shell out money then its worth it.
bob

• 2 weeks later...

Over the last few years I've done my bit in ridding six or seven Gibsons of their wretched three pointers.

Initially, I swapped them for Hipshot Supertones, but to be honest the Babicz replacement is better by a country mile and well worth the investment. It installs in a few minutes and while I have little love for the three pointer, the Babicz just looks like it's part of the original lineage. It feels comfortable to play against.

Edited by NancyJohnson

check out the "mod bar" first, solves the most obvious problems with the EB-3 bridge, great improvement for pocket change.
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GIBSON-EPIPHONE-BASS-BRIDGE-3-POINT-MOD-BAR-/291917638982"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GIBSON-EPIPHONE-BASS-BRIDGE-3-POINT-MOD-BAR-/291917638982[/url]

• 1 month later...

AFAIK Gibson now fit the Babicz as their OE bridge (from 2015 model year). I've just bought a 2014 120th Anniversary Special and am thinking of doing a bridge upgrade. I've managed to set the bass up perfectly but having the string windings on the saddles is just unacceptable - to me anyway. Once that's sorted and I've cut the nut slots down on the E and A strings we should be ready to rock'n'roll!! How can one of the two 'iconic' brands ship a premier product (i.e. made in the USA) product that has design flaws and hasn't been set up to factory spec? Beats me!!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1484823245' post='3218723']
How can one of the two 'iconic' brands ship a premier product (i.e. made in the USA) product that has design flaws and hasn't been set up to factory spec? Beats me!!
[/quote]

Knowing Gibson, they probably ordered a zillion of the wretched 3-pointers and were too stubborn to listen to customer feedback and go with an alternative.

I am at exactly the same point but have the advantage of having two EB3s, one was given to me off here because it was split nearly in two, I have repaired that and decided to use it as a base to test out some ideas. I have fitted a cheap but fully adjustable bridge and will see how it goes once I have all the electrics working (sadly they were appalling so need a complete overhaul - factory stuff is disgraceful in my opinion). I did a quick test but with only the bridge pick up working and it seems that the bridge pickup is incredibly sensitive to string location. The new bridge has moved the string positions of the E and G by about 1.2mm and that seems enough to cause them to be very quiet. There are ways around this and I will start working on it as soon as I have all the electrics up and running properly.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1485680482' post='3225682']
Knowing Gibson, they probably ordered a zillion of the wretched 3-pointers and were too stubborn to listen to customer feedback and go with an alternative.
[/quote]
Yep, that sounds about right!

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1485683645' post='3225706']
I am at exactly the same point but have the advantage of having two EB3s, one was given to me off here because it was split nearly in two, I have repaired that and decided to use it as a base to test out some ideas. I have fitted a cheap but fully adjustable bridge and will see how it goes once I have all the electrics working (sadly they were appalling so need a complete overhaul - factory stuff is disgraceful in my opinion). I did a quick test but with only the bridge pick up working and it seems that the bridge pickup is incredibly sensitive to string location. The new bridge has moved the string positions of the E and G by about 1.2mm and that seems enough to cause them to be very quiet. There are ways around this and I will start working on it as soon as I have all the electrics up and running properly.
[/quote]
I've been following your 'rescue' thread with interest. Which replacement bridge have you fitted?

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1485690309' post='3225794']

I've been following your 'rescue' thread with interest. Which replacement bridge have you fitted?
[/quote]
I got a 'Wilkinson' brand one off eBay for a heavy total of £12, it's the same dimensions as a standard Fender one so plenty of options available to upgrade once I have everything worked out.

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1485699234' post='3225876']
That's a bit cheaper than the Babicz!
[/quote]
Yup, just a little! I expected to have to do a bit of tweaking but to be fair it was fine straight out the packet. No doubt it is one of a million made somewhere in china but then so is the epiphone one probably. At £12 I can hardly lose a lot after all.

Will do, it will be slow progress for the next couple of weeks as the electrics will be properly done by an electronics engineer friend of mine who unfortunately is due to go to India for a fortnight for his work. I have a few jobs to go through to fill the time though.As soon as it's all sorted I will let you know.