Why become a member? ×

Bass Identification

jacethebass

Hi,

First of all sorry if this is in the wrong section or not allowed but I purchased this bass a while back purely on the basis that it looked interesting! However I can't seem to find any information on it at all which makes me believe its a one off custom build by a luthier somewhere. I bring this to your attention in attempts to find out ANYTHING at all about it.

It's neck through, seems to have EMG and Dimarzio? pickups, Schaller tuners and possibly an ebony fretboard. Also many knobs and switches to fiddle with.

Name on the headstock is Springett Electro Magnum, sounds cool af right!?

Sadly the wiring is shot and I have no idea where to start to get it fixed to see what it sounds like but any information would be greatly appreciated!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7JgOqcNnpzhQXlPb041NDNkRFE

Regards

Jason

I have no idea about this bass but the electronics controls layout looks very similar to the layout on Jaydee basses. Nothing else suggests Jaydee though. Unless anyone else has any ideas an email to to John Diggins might be a start.

Edited by BassBus

• 11 months later...

[quote name='jacethebass' timestamp='1478443416' post='3169064']
Hi,

First of all sorry if this is in the wrong section or not allowed but I purchased this bass a while back purely on the basis that it looked interesting! However I can't seem to find any information on it at all which makes me believe its a one off custom build by a luthier somewhere. I bring this to your attention in attempts to find out ANYTHING at all about it.

It's neck through, seems to have EMG and Dimarzio? pickups, Schaller tuners and possibly an ebony fretboard. Also many knobs and switches to fiddle with.

Sadly the wiring is shot and I have no idea where to start to get it fixed to see what it sounds like but any information would be greatly appreciated!

Regards

Jason
[/quote]

[quote name='jacethebass' timestamp='1478443416' post='3169064']
Hi,

Regards

Jason
[/quote]

Hi wow this is my first ever bass built by Nick Springett from my requested design. My name is Alistair and you will see in mother of pearl at the 12th fret it has "Ali" which Nick did for me. Originally the bass had x2 humbuckers but I and active passive controls. We changed to EMG pickups to try and get a richer bottom end.The bass has a lovely laminated finish underneath the white but I had it changed as I originally wanted it to look like a Jaydee supernatural (my mistake). I loved the bass and always thought of trying to get it back one day....sigh

[quote name='Amyton3043' timestamp='1508431784' post='3392184']
Hi wow this is my first ever bass built by Nick Springett from my requested design. My name is Alistair and you will see in mother of pearl at the 12th fret it has "Ali" which Nick did for me. Originally the bass had x2 humbuckers but I and active passive controls. We changed to EMG pickups to try and get a richer bottom end.The bass has a lovely laminated finish underneath the white but I had it changed as I originally wanted it to look like a Jaydee supernatural (my mistake). I loved the bass and always thought of trying to get it back one day....sigh
[/quote]
Wow - that's a bit of a result :). Great thread (and looks a nice bass...)

• 1 year later...
On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 19:46, Andyjr1515 said:

Wow - that's a bit of a result :). Great thread (and looks a nice bass...)

It's on Ebay so now is your chance.

Haha - Would believe it - I was just browsing ebay the other day, and this bass popped up!  I used to be Nick Springett's apprentice back in '88.  I remember Nick working on this bass, and I remember Ali! (How you doin'?).  Ali was in a kind of Indie/funk band called, 'Colour Me Pop' with a singer/guitarist, Shaun, and Vic Guillaman on drums, (who runs Dr.Um in Leamington Spa, I was also at secondary school with Vic).  I remember I almost did an audition with Shaun, (I play bass), but blew him out, (I thought he was too old at 27!, (I was 18).  I saw Shaun, Ali and Vic play a gig at Bakers in Leam six months later, and instantly realised I'd stuffed up and missed a good opportunity, (the ignorance of youth!).  I think I have their demo cassette knocking about somewhere.

Anyhow, back to the bass.  Well, I made Jason an offer, which he accepted, and I'll pick it up sometime this week.  It has a lot of sentimental value to me.  I haven't seen it in 31 years!  I intend to bring it back to life.  Nick was never that comfortable with electronics, so I'll probably have to rewire the whole thing.  I'd like to fit an Aguilar OBP-3 preamp, (they're excellent), but maybe a bit of a stretch at £153.  Not sure what all the switches do - I'm guessing series/parallel for each of the pickups and an on/off for the active circuit.  Still leaves one switch - maybe out-of-phase?

The pickups may have let this bass down, (there were very limited options in those days, and Nick didn't make his own), and I always thought the big scratchplate was ugly, (and got in the way when doing slap).  I suspect they never gave Ali the deep, but zingy funk sound he was looking for.  The P-bass pickup and associated holes will have left some ugly cavities - any bright ideas anyone?  I'd like to put in something like Seymour Duncan soapbars, (SSB4) - any opinions?

Also considering removing the white.  Nick will have used decent timber.  Shame it's covered in a thick layer of acid catalyst (Nick's preferred finish).  However, removing the old finish will be a beach.  So, undecided.  An oil/wax finish could be nice.  I would leave the face of the headstock original - maybe just try to repair some of the damage.

I lost touch with Nick over time.  I think he felt pretty jaded about the guitar-making business.  It was very tough in those days - incredibly hard to get hold of decent parts without paying a fortune - even scratchplate screws were very hard to come by.  I heard Nick had retired to Tenby in the early 00's.  I'm not even sure he's still with us . . .

Keep on, keepin' on . . .

Mark Gavin,  Redditch.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I met Nick 45 years ago when I went for  guitar lessons at his home in the old school house nr.Leamington Spa, he also had a workshop in Leamington and was in a group called Bladderrack,  I bought a rebuilt accoustic from him, still in use, would love to know where he is now as it could do with a makeover but then again so could I  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 3 months later...

HI there. Nick Springett is my dad, if you want to contact him?

On 06/11/2016 at 14:43, jacethebass said:

Hi,

Regards

Jason

Hi there. Nick Springett is my dad, if you want to contact him?

On 06/11/2016 at 14:43, jacethebass said:

Hi,

Regards

Jason