Why become a member? ×

Aria SB1000 pick up problem

Ernie's ball

Hi

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.
My '84 SB1000 seems to have no oooomph when used in active mode. However Passive seems fine. Brand new 9v batteries have been fitted.

Would this simply be down to a faulty pick up? or pre-amp? and how do I check?
I've seen online a replacement BB noise killer preamp for £40. Worth a punt?

Any advice appreciated.

W.

If it's fine in passive mode then unlikely to be the pickup, more like the pre-amp and I guess to a degree you have proved that already.
Only other test you could do is connect the pickup directly to your amp so you are bypassing all the internal electrics.
If that is OK then it would look like a new pre-amp or just keep it passive.

There was a mention of the preamp in the Aria website needs a new host thread, or something like that. Post #21
for some reason m browser at work won't let me post a link :(
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/285087-new-caretaker-wanted-for-aria-sb-website-fan-pages/page__p__3126552#entry3126552
Oh, wait a minute ^ there it is! :)

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=262676969453&alt=web

He does two different versions - original spec or one functionally the same but with modern components.

Edit: I'm in regular contact with him on another website. If you want to PM him I can give him a poke to make sure he visits BC to pick it up :)

Edited by Norris

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting, I've just taken delivery of a wonderful 1980 'batwing' - I bought a replacement preamp in anticipation (the bass hasn't been used since the 90's and preamp fault was blamed).

Changed the preamp over and still nothing.

I might be on the search for a replacement pickup but I'll be buying 2 new 9v batteries before doing anything else.

I've seen the pickups, and considering my current outlay and the rising prices of these basses, plus the fact I've always hankered for one...I'm sure I'll be doing it right, rather than an sb600 I've seen on eBay with a generic soapbar shoved in...