Why become a member? ×

Jeff Berlin Bass Direct 26th October 2016

72deluxe

Hello

Jeff Berlin gave a clinic at Bass Direct. I managed to film much of it from the floor (the tiny shop was full) and there was a bunch of good natured participants. Video is here:

https://youtu.be/OJnX3DRhu_A

BTW if anyone objects to their face in the video, PM and I can take it down, but I think we all learned something from them.

Mods feel free to move this to a more appropriate forum area.

Thanks for posting this. I don't know if it was my system but the live webcast didn't work for me.

Jeff Berlin has a lot to say and some people find him quite controversial. If you listen to him though he talks a lot of sense. Took me a long time to get him too.

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]I think his point about metronomes is that for practice, working to one isn't essential. He makes the good point that if you know what you're playing and you have a suitable technique, you'll be in time.[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Also his point about knowing what notes to play and emphasising harmony as the most important thing before worrying about "groove" is a good point. Really good.[/font]

Surprisingly I really enjoyed Jeff Berlin's clinic. I didn't agree with some things he said, in my book thats a good thing. He's a lot less aggressive than he used to come across years ago. Great to see so many bass players out to see it. Kudos to Mark for hosting the event and for Mark Bass for supporting it.

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]I met a fellow Bass-chatter there but can't remember his name. I saw him the other year at the Midland's bass bash in Leicester where he was playing a red Sadowsky I think, and doing machine-gun slapping (most impressive).[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Anyone here?[/font]

[quote name='72deluxe' timestamp='1478608393' post='3170219']
[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]I met a fellow Bass-chatter there but can't remember his name. I saw him the other year at the Midland's bass bash in Leicester where he was playing a red Sadowsky I think, and doing machine-gun slapping (most impressive).[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Anyone here?[/font]
[/quote]

[color=#282828]Machine-gun slapping, that would have been me. Sorry 'bout that. **hangs head in shame**[/color]

Edited by Lee-Man