Why become a member? ×

Ampeg 15" Driver advice please

petergales

I'm looking to use my Ampeg SVT 15E Classic Series (8ohms and rated at 200Watts) with my all-valve MYWATT200 200 watt amp. Am I in danger of blowing a speaker? If so should I upgrade the speaker? If I should upgrade, should I go with an Eminence CB15 8ohm which is a 300 watt driver?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation

Pete

Edited by petergales

If you are asking if it is completely safe under all conditions then the answer is no. Could you operate this pairing safely, then yes.

Unless you are going to drive the amp consistently into distortion I'd doubt you'd burn it out but if you use a fiver, lots of fx or boost the bass then you could get past the excursion limits.

One thing that would help might be a thumpinator which filters subsonics.

Hi Phil

Thanks for your advice. It's really helpful and I really appreciate it. I also bought an Ampeg SVT210 Classic Series cab to go on top of the 1x15 to give me a bit of a safety margin so, by the sounds of it, I'm going to be well within safe operating limits as I don't use distortion or a 5 string. Also we play pubs so - even though I have no PA support - I'm going for a clean 'old school' sound at moderate volume levels.

Thanks again for your input, it's put my mind at rest.

Kind regards

Pete