Why become a member? ×

The more I hear about being in a band, the more I really don't want to go there...

Grangur

[quote name='JohnR' timestamp='1478683776' post='3170824']...get involved in songwriting otherwise when the record deal comes around you suddenly become hired help and not on the contract.[/quote]

A sober warning. George and Ringo were in the biggest band in the world, but until Paul and John helped them with part-songs, they were out of the big money picture. At least, make a business agreement so that you are not blind sided with poverty while someone walks off with all the money. Your contribution makes the arrangement, which often makes the song a hit. That's why Jack Bruce walked off with the money... he wrote the lyrics.

Edited by CrackerJackLee

OP, there are no rules in music, do what pleases you :)

I'm kinda getting the best of both worlds at the moment, my originals band jams irregularly but it's great fun, just acquired a drummer, our old drummer from a previous band in 1986 ! good vibes

and I still like to learn favourite songs via tabs or rocksmith.

currently working on XTC's Mayor of Simpletown, Rush's YYZ, ouch, and Yes' Roundabout. keeps me busy

[quote name='CrackerJackLee' timestamp='1479787083' post='3179261']
A kind warning for anyone in a band. Reminding us of George and Ringo. They were in the biggest band in the world yet, in a sense, employees. Until Paul and John helped them with part-songs and ideas. George was soon reborn as a composer in his own right. I imagine good bands make an arrangement with the non-composer members, because their contribution makes the arrangement, which often makes the song a hit. Look what happened to Cream!
[/quote]

yep. I had this argument with our old songwriter who said you can't copyright a bassline.

I said three words

Pink Floyd's Money !

ftw !

Edited by bazztard

Rich, I'm worrying about you.

I don't think it's a problem playing just for the joy of it, I know at least as many musicians in your position as ones out there playing in bands every weekend. It's all good.

You are right to realise it's about priorities and few of us can have everything we want, especially without a decent job.

there's a wistfulness about your posts though. There's nothing to stop you from being an occasional band member. There's always people out there in the same place as you who need a bassist but will play anyway. I started playing with a bunch of teachers for example. They'd got too old for the Fri after school five a side/twenty over cricket in the summer and formed a 'band' just to unwind. They ran for years just for fun and the odd song at school 'do's'. I still currently play with a neighbour and another guitarist he's roped in. They'll practice without me if I can't make it, there's never any criticism, it's just fun. There's also an old (very old) university mate I play with four or five times a year. We hit the open mics sometimes but it's just fun to play and talk. He retires soon, we might form a band, go out as a duo or just keep doing what we do.

I suspect you are way better than I am, there are people who would love to have your help and you need do no more than dip your toe in the water.

Good luck

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1479805893' post='3179347']
Rich, I'm worrying about you.

I don't think it's a problem playing just for the joy of it, I know at least as many musicians in your position as ones out there playing in bands every weekend. It's all good.

You are right to realise it's about priorities and few of us can have everything we want, especially without a decent job.

there's a wistfulness about your posts though. There's nothing to stop you from being an occasional band member. There's always people out there in the same place as you who need a bassist but will play anyway. I started playing with a bunch of teachers for example. They'd got too old for the Fri after school five a side/twenty over cricket in the summer and formed a 'band' just to unwind. They ran for years just for fun and the odd song at school 'do's'. I still currently play with a neighbour and another guitarist he's roped in. They'll practice without me if I can't make it, there's never any criticism, it's just fun. There's also an old (very old) university mate I play with four or five times a year. We hit the open mics sometimes but it's just fun to play and talk. He retires soon, we might form a band, go out as a duo or just keep doing what we do.

I suspect you are way better than I am, there are people who would love to have your help and you need do no more than dip your toe in the water.

Good luck
[/quote] Like :D

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1479807345' post='3179359']
The problem with bands is that they contain other people...
[/quote]
[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1479807523' post='3179363']
That's also their greatest strength.
[/quote]

Yes. Truly the best of times and the worst of times! :rolleyes: :D

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1478813682' post='3171932']
No problem, cool.

Just to reiterate, to all beware of "joinabanditis".

Only entertain opportunities that are a match for you personally.

Blue
[/quote]

I agree with you there Blue. Trying to fit a square peg in a round hole isn't the wisest option.

Personally, I'm in a situation with my originals band where we all have an equal, democratic say, but the final call is often made by the guitar player or myself. We're all aware of the direction we'd heading in, and any disagreements are sorted out in the rehearsal room before they become real issues.

My point is that, to reiterate what Blue said, if you're not the 'right' person for the job (ability + personality + all the other stuff), then it's going to be a lot less fun and beneficial.

Don't join a band if you think you can change the material they are playing.

Currently having a bit of a battle with the band I joined as the singer (who joined a bit before me) seems intent on getting rid of a load of the tunes we play in favour for tunes he likes and is obstructive when tunes are suggested that fit with the current style and image of the band.

He's treading on thin ice.

Edited by TimR

Been there (with a former 'name' singer) and eventually had to tell them to leave. Surprisingly, the band got just as many bookings, and the renewed pleasure we got from the music was picked up by audiences. On several occasions we were told we are 'more fun' without the singer.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1479905647' post='3180154']

Currently having a bit of a battle with the band I joined as the singer (who joined a bit before me) seems intent on getting rid of a load of the tunes we play in favour for tunes he likes and is obstructive when tunes are suggested that fit with the current style and image of the band.

[/quote]

Been there, and it got to the point where the band broke up because of it.

I recommend radical surgery

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1479905647' post='3180154']

[/quote]

This again gets back to doing homework on any band your persuing as well as making sure you know what your looking for in a band and band experience.

When I joined my band 5 years ago, I was hired to play bass and sing background vocals. I was not hired to make calls on material or any other aspect of band management.

Worked out fine for me.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1479919204' post='3180304']
Luckily his saving grace at the moment is we do find some common ground. But it's like wading through treacle to get there.
[/quote]

The problem in my old band (doing covers) was the everybody else would compromise as we all understood that you'll always end up with some songs that you don't like as much as others, but knowing this the lead guitarist would happily spend hours of rehearsal time insisting that the crowd wouldn't know or like any of the songs that he didn't personally know or like, and when he finally, very ungraciously agreed that OK if everybody insists that we should do some other song, he then just never got round to learning it properly. It wasn't that his tastes were unconnected to the rest of what we were doing, if he'd been happy to make those his choices for 20% of the set that would have been fine, but when he wanted to make that 100% of the set we had a problem.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1479920876' post='3180326']
This again gets back to doing homework on any band your persuing as well as making sure you know what your looking for in a band and band experience.

When I joined my band 5 years ago, I was hired to play bass and sing background vocals. I was not hired to make calls on material or any other aspect of band management.

Worked out fine for me.

Blue
[/quote]

I guess it depends what you're after - and it's about knowing what you want out of the band. But if you'd put a band together on the premise of everybody wanting to do the same thing or having an equal say, you'd be pretty annoyed if one member started stamping their feet, or just became obstructive.

And from experience, they will think it's the rest of you that's the problem, not them. So experience now tells me not to bother putting up with it, because it won't ever get any better. Time for a sacking or a resignation.

I usually judge it by weight of numbers - if it's just you that isn't happy with the choice of songs then it's probably you that's wrong...but sometimes it's worth having a quiet word with the rest of the band to see if it is just you or if they're unhappy too but think it's just them

[quote name='Monkey Steve' timestamp='1479921904' post='3180338']

I guess it depends what you're after - and it's about knowing what you want out of the band. [/quote]

Exactly, that should be the first thing a guy should define before he starts looking for a band.

Seems obvious, right? I think it goes over some guys heads. And defining what you want out of a band experience is hard for some and easy for others.

Blue

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1478681741' post='3170799']
When we start out on our journey into bass, we all here those iconic bass lines and we get stuck in there. Even before we know what we're listening to is a bass guitar or DB, we're falling in love with the richness depth of that tone. A sound so deep and thick you could almost cut a slice off and... OK, maybe that's too much, but you get it.

But all these bass lines are normally in a band context. So we all go down the route of buying a bass and aspiring to play with others.

Speaking for myself, I did all that. Never had an amp in those days, apart from plugging the bass into a reel-to-reel tape deck and using it's output stage. It worked. It sounded like nothing on earth with tons of unhelpful distortion. I hated it. I dropped it for a number of reasons and came back to bass when I was 50. I still aspired to being in a band.

I got into a band and immediately came across the egos of others. The instructions to "play only the roots" as the keys were playing the bass line. Directions from guys who clearly didn't know the rudiments of music. (Like, you don't adjust the beat to fit in with the timing of the lyrics.) The sound of the band was a cacophony. I quit.

Back home I can't be bothered with the faff of mp3 players and playing along with tracks. I read cello scores and transcribe other scores and really dig the tone of a bass playing, effectively, guitar-style. It's a challenge to my ability, but it's coming on and it's a hobby. I don't need to drive all over the country. I don't have folk pulling my playing apart, letting me down. I don't have to buy and store large gear that will only get used when away from the house. I don't have drunks telling me their dad plays better (or the likes).

True, others may not agree that what I do is playing bass, but it suits me. I'm trying to get my head round something from "My Fair Lady" right now. I play almost every day and it fits in with my lifestyle as I play for any odd half-hours etc that I get the chance.

"Why don't I change to guitar", you might ask? I just prefer the tone of a bass guitar to the twang of the treble-clef.

I'm sure I'm not alone, am I?
[/quote]

I like this thread. I don't often come in here nowadays. I used to be a regular but life moves on.

I'm not going through the whole thread but I'll add my ten penneth. Whatever floats your boat is okay. Bands! I'm 62 and I didn't pick up a bass or any instrument until 20 years ago. My idea of playing bass is in a band, with others. My practice is geared towards that. Contributing to the song, performing live, entertaining. That's my thing. I've been trying to do that for about 12 years and I have 3 gigs to show for it!

Pathetic isn't it :) I'm still playing, I'm dealing with ego's, guitarists mainly, the fact that the best sounding rig and bass in the world is lost in the classic rock world when surviving in the mix is key. I've learnt that there's a whole lot of stuff talked about that is frankly irrelevant to performing bassists. There is also more hype than at a Trump Rally.

I've made some great friends, have some lovely basses (I'm nearing 100 passed through my hands at the last count) and I still aspire to be in a decent gigging band, genre optional (I've broad tastes).

If you come away from doing whatever you do feeling good then you've got it entirely right. It's all a gift.

And a shout for Alan Cringeon and Dave Perry. In all my 100 basses the most remarkable is my Uber spec 5 string Finn with full fat filter preamp. The B string is unbelievable, the tone huge and controlled and the playability 2nd to none for a fraction the price of a Fodera. The best cab I've owned by far is my one of Dave's EAD 212s.

[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1479938300' post='3180489']

I still aspire to be in a decent gigging band, genre optional (I've broad tastes).
[/quote]

Greeneking, regardless of where any of us live, how long we've been playing, finding a proper gigging band with good people is a tough nut to crack.

Blue

Edited by blue

I am relatively new to all this, still in my first band. But already I'm learning things. It's a democracy. But the front guys (singer/rhythm gtr; lead gtr) inevitably decide what we play. Drums and bass can veto. But essentially vox has got to be able to sing it and lead to play it - and both have got to want to do it. It's taken me a while to grasp this but I'm cool with it now. I'm in a tight gigging band, which I never expected to be, quite so quickly. Some of our set list isn't quite my thing, but most of it is. The other guys are easy going. We all have our quirks. But the good far outweighs the bad. I feel lucky.

[quote name='Kitsto' timestamp='1480115427' post='3181874']
I am relatively new to all this, still in my first band. But already I'm learning things. It's a democracy. But the front guys (singer/rhythm gtr; lead gtr) inevitably decide what we play. Drums and bass can veto. But essentially vox has got to be able to sing it and lead to play it - and both have got to want to do it. It's taken me a while to grasp this but I'm cool with it now. I'm in a tight gigging band, which I never expected to be, quite so quickly. Some of our set list isn't quite my thing, but most of it is. The other guys are easy going. We all have our quirks. But the good far outweighs the bad. I feel lucky.
[/quote]

You are lucky.Bands with good paying solid bookings are hard if not impossible for most to find.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1479766892' post='3179196']
A lot of bands including ours would love adding a keys. However in the bar band business it's cost prohibitive. No bar band I know can afford keys.

Blue
[/quote]

That is reasonable, but I'd far rather keys than a 2nd gtr....
I find 2 gtr bands 'can' be quite one dimensional altho that is more down to the player than the 2 gtr idea.
At a local level, mostly it doesn't stand-out.... depends on the gtrs and set-up, of course.

3 pieces..?? :lol:

Edited by JTUK

Over the last 20 years I've played well over 1000 gigs with my band (probably closer to 1300 including those played with other bands along the way) so fair to say playing live to an audience with a band is my personal main drive to play.
These days my band has cut back to 20-30 gigs a year due to family commitments but I seem to spend all my time between gigs trying to find any moment I can grab to pick up my bass. If I'm really lucky I might be able to persuade my wife to let me set my amp up in the kitchen and have a play with my tone for half an hour. Ultimately though it's all in preparation for the next gig.
Fortunately for me my 3 closest friends in the world are my band-mates (lead guitarist has been my best mate since high school and was best man at my wedding last year).

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1480248494' post='3182741']

That is reasonable, but I'd far rather keys than a 2nd gtr....
I find 2 gtr bands 'can' be quite one dimensional altho that is more down to the player than the 2 gtr idea.
At a local level, mostly it doesn't stand-out.... depends on the gtrs and set-up, of course.

3 pieces..?? :lol:
[/quote]

It's down to sloppy arrangements mainly.

I joined a band where both guitarists just played the same thing. Although they didn't. They were both so slightly different that it sounded terrible. If one was slightly out of tune it was pitiful.

We did a lot of work on arrangements got them playing different parts. It sounded 100% better.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1480257064' post='3182832']
It's down to sloppy arrangements mainly.

I joined a band where both guitarists just played the same thing. Although they didn't. They were both so slightly different that it sounded terrible. If one was slightly out of tune it was pitiful.

We did a lot of work on arrangements got them playing different parts. It sounded 100% better.
[/quote]

Sure, but the 1st thing I'd do is see what gtrs they are running as to how they themselves approach it.
You know you have trouble looming when you see them both rocking twim humbuckers, for example. :lol:

But as always, it is more how they approach things and it is more an issue when they both have to play 'everything'...

I like gtrs who know that they can drop out of the track...

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1480268338' post='3182952']

Sure, but the 1st thing I'd do is see what gtrs they are running as to how they themselves approach it.
You know you have trouble looming when you see them both rocking twim humbuckers, for example. :lol:

But as always, it is more how they approach things and it is more an issue when they both have to play 'everything'...

I like gtrs who know that they can drop out of the track...
[/quote]

Yes they tried to convince me that the two guitars sounded different. Which to be fair, they did, but everything just morphed into one hash of noise.

Yes. They both played everything. In fact in some tunes one of them played everything and more. On some occasions he 'helped me' by adding extra root notes. :rolleyes:

Edited by TimR