Why become a member? ×

Stressing about my pedal rig and need advice for changing.

sirmuppet

Ok, I've never been one for pedals on my bass setup. I prefer to plug right into an amp and that's it. That said my current band requires that I have different sounds and over time I've come to realise that I need to change things a little. Current setup is.

Bass (P-bass, J-bass, Thunderbird, Stingray) - Smoothound Wireless - Korg Pitchblack Custom - Sansamp Bass Driver Deluxe - Orange Bass Terror's effects return (Thus bypassing the preamp of the Orange) - Orange OBC115. I also run the direct out of the sansamp to a rocktron banshee.

I personally don't like the sound of my Orange Terror head. This isn't an issue as I really just use it as a power amp now and it does that just fine. In a pinch I'd use it as a head but not long term.

So on to the pedal board. Am toying with the idea of removing the wireless. I like the freedom and not having to worry about pulling leads out which I used to do a lot. It's not 100% required.

Korg pitchblack custom is perfect, I have no need to remove or change this.

The Sansamp Bass Driver deluxe. I use one tone on it as my main and another for a drive. Since I'm looking at getting dedicated drive pedals this makes it 1 channel out of 6 that I use. It's big and good but I'd like to change it up. I've seen the V2 version with the mid control which looks cool and I also like the idea of the Darkglass vintage deluxe or Ultra (to get a slightly gainy tone). I'd be running direct into the PA as well as direct into the return on my Orange so how do Darkglass stack up as DI and preamp pedals as most of the videos I've seen they are running them into amps?

Then comes a dedicated drive and maybe a fuzz pedal. I've posted about this before and recently again. The two that caught my eye that were suggested were Darkglass Duality and the Soruce Audio Aftershock. The Duality would be a great fuzz but it won't do the drive sound which flicks me back to the Aftershock. The thing that puts me off that is the fact it runs from an amp and I kinda want it to be future proof and not rely on tech that might be hard to get in 10 years time just to be able to edit it. The drive tone is sort of a song 2, ace of spades type drive, so a classic drive.

And finally the talk box. Don't ask but I do use it on the bass, lol. The one I have is great but I need to find a 9v one if possible that runs on the same supply as the above pedals (I know the Smoothound doesn't but that may go or I can get a +/- switch cable, in fact I have one direct from Smoothound).

One of the above pedals needs to have a second out for going to the talkbox. I notice a slight drop in volume when engaging it. Doesn't matter what pedal or if it's a stereo or even a dry out, just as long as one pedal has a second out.

Ok, so I hope I managed to explain my issues and my needs somewhat. From the above what would you guys suggest?

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1478710676' post='3171122']
Would [url="http://www.hotroxuk.com/dan-electro-free-speech-talk-box-dtb1.html?utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=organic&gclid=CjwKEAiAr4vBBRCG36e415-_l1wSJAAatjJZYbU-NEu6dO2kVgWA85Q7pHunaH16UOB6SxGtv8rWtRoCLVvw_wcB"]this[/url] do? pretty sure that its 9v center negative. And they say its in stock.
[/quote]

That's the one I was thinking of just couldn't find one for sale. Cheers man :D

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1478712403' post='3171140']
Have you thought about a Darkglass M900? That would allow you to get rid of the Sansamp and the Orange, and will probably take care of any distortion requirements.
[/quote]

I have actually. Only issue is I would never gig without a backup DI preamp. My current rig allows me to do that.

So even though everything is in one package with the M900, if something went wrong with the head I'm left up a certain stinky creek without a paddle, lol. That would include power amp, preamp and overdrive all gone if one thing goes. So I'd still need a backup.

I have to say though that the M900 sounds amazing.

Just not for me.

Unless...

...I get two M900's? :D :P

Edited by sirmuppet