Why become a member? ×

Status buzz woahs *help needed*.

synthaside

Hi folks , I'm looking for a little help from a local someone , I'm in Kingston upon Thames but will travel half an hour or so and bring the thing if anyone can help me out .

So here's my situation.

I have a status graphite bass bought a year or so ago by my other half from this very forum for a landmark birthday.
no matter what I do I can't play the thing without fret buzz . I've tried to adjust the saddles and truss rod to get the right relief , I've paid to have it professionally set up at Charlie Chandlers in Hampton wick , It came back with an action so low it was even worse , so I raised the saddles AGAIN to stop the E fretting out at the 4th when you played any note above it.

I even sent it back to status UK for a service thinking that would sort it ... and it came back nice and shiny with new electronics ... and a set of flats which apparently are the strings that it came out of Rob's workshop wearing at birth. YET still unplayable by me to a satisfactory nature.

I'd never say I was a phenomenal player, but over the years I've had and played jazz basses , P basses , a thunderbird a nice acoustic bass , flats and rounds from all the usual suspects. but this is my " expensive" supposed forever bass but still I'm far more comfortable using my sub 150 quid ki0gon equipped Jazz.

So ..... HELP before I break mine and my partner's hearts and list it for sale

1. Is it me , all my other necks are wood ? I'm wondering if I just don't get on with graphite necks .
Am I too hamfisted , perhaps another status or status neck owner could fill me in.

2. Does it need setting up Higher and I'm incapable of doing it correctly ?
Would another player who's used to a low action have no problems

Any advice , perhaps any local person be willing to take a look / play and perhaps tweak the setup for me would be very appreciated .

Edited by synthaside

if you have paid Status to set it up for you and they failed I would demand my money back or send it back to them and tell them to do it properly this time. Same with that lutheir you paid to set it up.

Has it got a zero fret? Does that need replacing?

Actually, re-reading your post, it sounds like the truss rod might need loosening to add some more relief if you are getting buzz that far up the neck.
I have a Status bass with wooden neck(graphite reinforced), zero fret and I can get the action very very low with zero buzz by setting it up myself so really cannot understand how these "professionals" can fail to address your issue.

Edited by dyerseve

It's a full standard headed " status neck" , with no zero Fret shown here http://www.status-graphite.com/status/frames/index_home.html It's the Bottom one.

I would say I vary my aggressiveness I can play softly and still generate buzz , but I don't attack it with a pick by any means The service with status was more for the electronics which did need looking at as it was discharging its pair of 9 volts even when not plugged in and by this I mean a pair in 3-4 days, they sorted this and did a setup for me with some factory strings I doubt I have a leg to stand on there I am happy with the work / service from status .

Really I'm after another local basschatter who knows about setups to play it and tell me not mental ...

Its a shame your not up north as I would of sorted it for you.
Does the fret buzz appear on all frets and all strings. Or is it localised? If localised exactly where is the buzzing?
Does the model have a truss rod? I know some status models didn't.
What sort of action do you normally like on other basses as you should be able to get the same action on the bass regardless of neck material.

The buzz is very bad when you fret at first or second on E , It seems to be making contract around 5th fret on the E and a little lower on the other strings If you play very cautiously on the A ,D or G you can get away with it but if you relax or get into it.... it wants to buzz and because the bass has an F hole you notice it .

( I imagine with a set of rounds it would be much much worse)

I didn't think I liked a Super high action , but perhaps a little higher than average I like to feel like I'm fretting with some positivity .

It has a truss rod as its the current headed type Neck but the access is VERY tight to the truss as its recessed deep inside, the bridge saddles are a bit of game too .

Edited by synthaside

I had an issue with what I thought was fret buzz on the A string of my Status S2 and tried the options you have (except returning it to Status) without success. It turned out to be a dodgy A string and then another dodgy A string from another batch of Hotwires. Ive changed strings numerous times since then and not had the problem.

It's probably a long shot but I suggest you try another new set of strings in case it's the same issue.

I did specifically buy some sets of hot wires for it and changed to another set of those when I swapped strings , perhaps a new set of d'addario's ...I've a set in my spares box , I do think the truss rod needs looking at , perhaps ill try a different guitar store apparently there is one not far from my office ... but they seem to send out rather than do in store.

Edited by synthaside

[quote name='synthaside' timestamp='1478793232' post='3171699']
The buzz is very bad when you fret at first or second on E , It seems to be making contract around 5th fret on the E and a little lower on the other strings If you play very cautiously on the A ,D or G you can get away with it but if you relax or get into it.... it wants to buzz and because the bass has an F hole you notice it .

( I imagine with a set of rounds it would be much much worse)

I didn't think I liked a Super high action , but perhaps a little higher than average I like to feel like I'm fretting with some positivity .

It has a truss rod as its the current headed type Neck but the access is VERY tight to the truss as its recessed deep inside, the bridge saddles are a bit of game too .
[/quote]

It would seem to indicate the neck relief is too little. Buzzing on frets 1-7 typically indicates you need more relief. Once you have a little more relief you can normally lower the bridge saddles to a more normal height.

If you hold down the E at the first fret then with your elbow hold down the E at the last frets or where the neck meets the body. There should be some relief (gap) between the top of the 7th fret and the bottom of the E string. A typical business card (not plastic bank card) should just be able to slide in the gap between 7th fret and Underside of the E while you hold down at the first and last frets. A capo makes it easier but its doable using the method stated above. A typical business card is .013 and relief is normally .007 - .015 depending on how hard you play so its in the right range.

So an update , after taking as much info in , I took the bass on Friday to a different store , explained the whole situation, and the guy played the bass ... who joked ..." well you can use the G string so get yourself an octiave pedal and you'll be fine ".

its gone off to be looked at again , i've asked for a " higher action " lets hope its sorted this time.

I think that you may've been a bit harsh with your criticism of the service you received from Status. I've always found their customer service to be excellent.

Personally, I'd ring them and speak to Dawn, explain that the issue hasn't been resolved and, if need be, take a trip down to Brighton where Rob & Co can have a look and fix it to your satisfaction while you're there. They have a reputation which they are to keep and will most likely bend over backwards to make you happy.

Be careful with what you look at though...you may end up walking out of there having placed an order for something extremely beautiful :D :D

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1479735522' post='3178822']
Personally, I'd ring them and speak to Dawn, explain that the issue hasn't been resolved and, if need be, take a trip down to Brighton where Rob & Co can have a look and fix it to your satisfaction while you're there. They have a reputation which they are to keep and will most likely bend over backwards to make you happy.
[/quote]

Probably more helpful if you went to Essex rather than Brighton though!

No , no I didn't specifically ask for a action setup from status , It went to visit them for an electronics issue and came back after a few months working correctly.
It's no fault of Rob / Dawn or anyone at Status I'm trying to find out if I'm apparently a ham-fisted Buffoon , who's bad technique is totally hidden when playing a wooden necked bass or If
something can be changed to hide minimise it.

REGARDLESS the bass is back from the store , who have done their best and it plays much much better now , you can use the E below 5th without touching so lightly you'd get a harmonic.

Edited by synthaside

So is the bass playing right? You say its back and they done there best. That sounds like its still not too your liking?
Put it this way your bass is of a quality it should be in a way exactly like you want it and be able to get the same as other wooden neck basses if not better.
I'm honestly surprised you've had issues. And not at all saying it's you.
Many good manufacturers and good luthiers seem to not be doing what they should do of late!
I won't say anymore but I've been getting a not annoyed at certain things and customer service of late of people whom should be doing better.
And of late I've had too put things right that should of been correct in the first place.