Why become a member? ×

Lightweight and portable?

Ajoten

I am looking for an amp I can carry easily (on the train, walking to rehearsals) that can keep me heard above a dozen acoustic instruments of various sorts. Any ideas? I'm guessing there is no "easily", and portability is measured in how much one is prepared to suffer...

Depending on your budget the king of small and portable is the AER amp one, 200 very loud watts through a 10 inch speaker, although the mark bass stuff is also rather spectacular. My Mark bass CMD121p is the only amp I've kept hold of for over a year...I normally get bored and move them on.....

Edited by chrisanthony1211

[quote name='chrisanthony1211' timestamp='1478942147' post='3172808']
Depending on your budget the king of small and portable is the AER amp one, 200 very loud watts through a 10 inch speaker, although the mark bass stuff is also rather spectacular. My Mark bass CMD121p is the only amp I've kept hold of for over a year...I normally get bored and move them on.....
[/quote]

I agree with what you say Chris. I (very) briefly had an AER amp one and it is indeed superb. The drawback is that it's not that lightweight and now costs c £1600. The one10 plus GK MB200 has a similar performance, is half the weight and costs about £550 new.

Of course the Markbass CMD121P combo, which I should not have sold, is excellent as well, and slightly less than half the cost of the AER.

You pays yer money and makes yer choice is a very true saying. Overall I'm happy with the one10/ MB200.

Frank.

There also the tc electronic bh250 amp head. I tried one in a shop seemed well made and a good tone. I like the tone print system for different effects seems like it would be very useful. Built in tuner so one less thing to carry. And it will fit in a gig bag.
http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_amps_detail.asp?stock=12070515385632&gclid=CL7nkcSSo9ACFY8W0wodwtsMeQ

You get practically the same head onto the 2x8 cab in the tc electronics bg250 208 combo. Lightweight and sounded good seemed well built although the one i tested did have some rattling going on somewhere but others have said they had no issues.
http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_amps_detail.asp?stock=13091811294632

Edited by Twincam

The OP said "I am looking for an amp I can carry easily (on the train, walking to rehearsals)" ....I wouldn't like to do that with a Mark Bass CMD 121P, relatively light though it is!

I think nothing larger than a 10" speaker is the way to go otherwise too bulky/heavy.

I've just returned a GK MB110 to Gear4music, it may come up as a B Stock soon ( as a return and not damaged). I paid just under £290 for it so you may get £20 off. Fairly lightweight (21.lbs) and 14.5" X 12.5"

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1478987971' post='3173219']
The OP said "I am looking for an amp I can carry easily (on the train, walking to rehearsals)" ....I wouldn't like to do that with a Mark Bass CMD 121P, relatively light though it is!
[/quote]

Agree, I had to walk about a mile with my old CMD121P, bass and bag of leads etc. Was rather worn out by the time I got to the venue.

• 4 months later...

I've got an Epifani 110 for the same reasons of portability & weight
(well, in fact, I've got two of those cabs - as together, they form a great rig for DB)
The Epifani 110's are the best sounding 1x10 cabs I've heard - though they're a tad heavier than the Barefaced One10

I use mine sometimes with a TC head, and sometimes with my tiny EA550W micro head. The EA head is incredibly small and lightweight, but sounds a tad "flat" and a bit hifi-like to my ears - so I then use a pedal, to muck about with the EQ (which means more stuff / leads etc to carry) I get a great sound with my TC head though...

Sorry to be late to this thread - but I've only just seen it :)

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='Ajoten' timestamp='1478961267' post='3172988']
Blimey £££. And here's me hoping there some £100 pracky amp that might do.
[/quote]

It might but you won't sound as good. . . then it might not. Practise amps are not always designed to gig with.

There are plenty of small cabs/amps/combos but the good sounding ones are few and far between, and will cost more.

Cheap also tends to be heavy. You need to decide which part of the equation is most important to you.

Do you always rehearse in the same place? If so, and it is secure, you could consider buying a heavier (and therefore cheaper) setup and simply leaving it at the rehearsal venue.

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Ajoten' timestamp='1478961267' post='3172988']
Blimey £££. And here's me hoping there some £100 pracky amp that might do.
[/quote]

Light, cheap, good. Choose any two :)

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/behringer-bt-108/940

Edited by markstuk

GK Microbass for a combo? I find the slim front-to-back dimension makes it a very easy one handed carry. Like a briefcase.

If you want seperates though I use a Microbass head with a Barefaced Midget. So on that basis a massive +1 for everyone who's suggesting the MB200 and Barefaced one10.