Why become a member? ×

Poorly driver?

Twincam

I must buy some rubbish or have bad luck.
I bought an old mag combo which had some noises I thought it was just the pots as it was like a rustling and the pots did crackle when moved but after cleaning them the pots worked great no noises but the background rustling was still there.
Then the head broke which was my fault.

So I have bought another mag head a slightly different version to use with the combo. It seemed to test fine when I bought it on there cab. But alas the noise is still (a rustling) there when used with my old combo driver.

So I'm assuming unless both heads had exactly the same issue its the driver which is kaput. Maybe slight voice coil rub mainly happens on an E but can happen at any volume but mainly higher volume.

Any thoughts?

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1478906124' post='3172694']
Take the grille off and gently press the cone in. A rub is fairly apparent. Make sure you press it in evenly, and don't go mental with the pushing.
[/quote]

Yeah did that shortly after my post. No rub when pushed in equally but when tested directionally (gently) one area seems to have a slight rub.
Turned the speaker around and no noises when playing. So best to replace the driver before it lets go I guess.

Might be worth dropping the speaker right out ans checking that the voice coil wires or internal speaker wire aren't just rubbing on the cone.
You can get speakers re-centred or completely re-coned, but it would probably approach the cost of a replacement anyway. Worth knowing that it is an option for older or unavailable speakers.

It's really hard to diagnose a fault from this distance. Language isn't a good way to describe odd sounds. As above check all round that nothing inside the cab is touching the speaker. Then have a good look at the cone itself to see if anything has come unstuck or if there are any small tears.