Why become a member? ×

Should I give up a bass solo?

MacDaddy

When I was showing the band a song (wot I had wrote) at one point someone said 'what happens next?', to which I replied 'bass solo', and no-one said no!

As we are lacking an extra guitarist we've been gigging as a 3-piece, so it works quite well, but we are getting another guitarist on board, so when we do should I give up the bass solo and let a guitarist have it?

If you [i]must [/i]hear it, the solo kicks in 1:33 although I play it slightly different live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjOIB12mzQc

I'd imagine, if/when you get a 2nd guitarist, a lot of the songs will need slight rearrangements to work effectively. Regarding this song, the bass solo/break is good and I can see how a 2nd guitar might be added to it with no real worries. But also I could see the guitar doing it instead.

The answer is, try it out with both, or a number of variations in arrangement, and see which one you all prefer the most.

I like that bass solo - very Cliff Burton-esque to have that in there.

Personally if I was arranging it for two guitars, here's what I'd do:

I'd have the second guitar harmonise with the first section of the bass solo (the slower part)

Then have the bass play the faster tapping section on its own, but have the second guitar underneath with a more bouncy type rhythm like you have in the LE-PO-RE-LO part.

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1479066039' post='3173686']
So I raised it today at band practice, hoping to try some of the afore mentioned ideas, but everyone was happy with it the way it is lol.
[/quote]

If something is working isn't it normally the way that folk are reluctant to change it? Especially as its you wot writ it?