Why become a member? ×

Jazz basses, what's the point?

FinnDave

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1479545265' post='3177317']
Just out of curiosity FinnDave, have you ever strung up a jazz bass with flats before? If so, did you have a similar opinion on the sound as you do with the jazz bass with rounds?
[/quote]

No, I haven't. I tried flats on a Precision and couldn't get used to the feel of them, so went back to my usual round wounds.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1479546033' post='3177324']

No, I haven't. I tried flats on a Precision and couldn't get used to the feel of them, so went back to my usual round wounds.
[/quote]

Fair enough. I agree wth you about the sound of a jazz in certain band contexts and thought I'd give flats a go on my '62 RI Jazz and found that I was much happier with the tone.

Thought it might have been worth a mention (but apparently not!)

• 2 months later...

ive just sold an AVRI p bass and bagged a couple of bargains in the form of a new 2014 p bass black/maple and a new 2016 3TS/RW Jazz usa stds. they were sold off as new pro range was coming out. 2 of the best feeling basses ive ever owned. if I could only have 1 bass (as has been the case most of last 20 odd years) itd be a P but im loving the jazz I have to say. Now my band is a 3 piece the P bass played with a pick fills the space really well but I find the jazz with fingers cuts through better than the p with fingers used to and the other band members commented on how good it sounded and cut through but that could be down to new strings. its horses for courses really and if it fits it fits.
Just watch Bobby Vega and tell me a jazz doesn't work, a pick doesn't work etc.
P bass J bass Ray all good IMHO

My goto bass is my Jazz but i def find in many band situations it doesn't seem to cut thru the band mix. More noticeable in bands with kys.
Sometimes it depends on the style of music.
In a 3 piece originals band with a Cream / Who type sound the jazz just wasn't suited and had no mid punch to cut thru.
On the other side of the coin a 5 piece Prog band it was great during the quiet sections but when full band really going for it the bass was "just ther" with no clear definition.

I've just ordered a Precision Deluxe to hopefully give me best of both worlds.
Currently playing Funk / Blues and the jazz works in some songs but not others.

Dave

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1485101260' post='3221104']
I`d probably go for the Ernie Ball Cobalts, they`ve enough zing to sound like rounds if required, but can be tamed down to flat-sounding, so pretty much the best of both worlds.
[/quote]

I've tried Elixirs on my jazz but because of the coating it makes the buzzing worse so went back to nickel.
Are the cobalts coated as well. Better still i'll just google them.

Dave

Having played a US Jazz for 20 years after having précis ions for quite a long time, but now abandoning them I thought I chick in 5 penny worth . It seems to me most pro band bassists use one and generally get a good sound. Listen to someone Kinga Gylk and she gets a brilliant sound out of hers! They can't all be wrong but they are far from perfect.
The downsides are that the pickups pick up some types of lights and hum much worse than precisions, and they are heavy. Don't know why because other luthiers can make them much lighter and hum free.
Love 'em or hate 'em you can't ignore them. I don't think I'll ever get another but I do like the skinny neck.

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1485083115' post='3220921']
Not used flats since 80's when i had fretless basses. Might give them a go on the Jazz once the PJ gets here.

Any recommendations on flats for Jazz ?

Dave
[/quote]

I rather like these Dave, work very well on my jazz http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-9050-Bass-Strings-Stainless-Steel-Flatwound-9050CL-040-105-/371593762575?hash=item5684b6d70f:g:mWwAAOSwgApXBPVr

Well, I seem to have gone full circle, as my black n maple US standard jazz is back with me. Bought it back off Lozz today, and determined to try to achieve the mellow, full, and 'fruity' tone I heard last week from a Jazz strung with flats. I don't like the feel of flats, so that might be a challenge, but I've strung one of my Precisions with a set of Chromes to try (again) to get used to them.

So, the real question has to be...what herbs go best with a diet of words, as it seems I need to eat a few!

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1485716074' post='3226066']
Well, I seem to have gone full circle, as my black n maple US standard jazz is back with me. Bought it back off Lozz today, and determined to try to achieve the mellow, full, and 'fruity' tone I heard last week from a Jazz strung with flats. I don't like the feel of flats, so that might be a challenge, but I've strung one of my Precisions with a set of Chromes to try (again) to get used to them.

So, the real question has to be...what herbs go best with a diet of words, as it seems I need to eat a few!
[/quote]

I'm like you, often dipping in and out of the Jazz Bass world, with the old "never again". I now have the same as yours, also with flats on and I love it, even though it'll always be 3rd in the pecking order. I've learnt now to just keep it around for those days when I'm craving it, and those days are great :)

Being a P Bass and Music Man kind of guy, I find that a series / parallel switch makes a very nice difference, especially for those days when the two pickups in parallel don't do it for you. A CTS push pull switch is inexpensive and an easy mod too.

Edited by Chiliwailer

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1485200204' post='3222064']
I rather like these Dave, work very well on my jazz [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-9050-Bass-Strings-Stainless-Steel-Flatwound-9050CL-040-105-/371593762575?hash=item5684b6d70f:g:mWwAAOSwgApXBPVr"]http://www.ebay.co.u...WwAAOSwgApXBPVr[/url]
[/quote]

Cheers Karl
Tried a set of flats on a Gibson SG bass last night and they did feel good.
On the link it says gauge is 40-105 but on the pack it says 45-105

What were you using out of curiosity

Dave

Different gauges available Dave but I am using 50 - 100 on my FSR 60'S Classic Burgundy Mist Jazz.
Quite an unusual set but currently doing 50's/60's and Elvis stuff, these strings work well for a double bass approximation, wit a touch of SUB on my RM Ashdown.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1485721407' post='3226152']
Different gauges available Dave but I am using 50 - 100 on my FSR 60'S Classic Burgundy Mist Jazz.
Quite an unusual set but currently doing 50's/60's and Elvis stuff, these strings work well for a double bass approximation, wit a touch of SUB on my RM Ashdown.
[/quote]
[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1485723040' post='3226185']
I've just put a set of 45-100 Chromes on the jazz, as I had them lying around. If I get on with them and like the sound I may invest in a heavier set, I usually use 50-105 rounds on everything.

I've got nickel 45-105 on new Fender i got but i find the tension a bit tight. Will wear them out before going down to 40-100 again.
The bass i tried last night was flatwound but he was playing older style rock / blues / pop material like early stones material and it suited the music.

Might try a cheaper set on my jazz just to see how they sound. They def felt nice on the fingers.

Dave
[/quote]

• 2 weeks later...

IMO, and I've only got a Squire VM Jazz compared to a MIA P, the Jazz sounds great on it's own but in a rock band situation because it's a lot more scooped sound it doesn't cut through,the P has loads of grunt around 200Hz, which the Jazz just doesn't seem to have, unless I put the pick ups in series mode

[quote name='Sarlscharisma' timestamp='1486509160' post='3232442']
There's a lot of the JB being thin sounding. Anyone heard the Dead Kennedys live or other end of the spectrum Denny Lane in Wings. I don't buy the thin sound stuff.
[/quote]

But it doesn't need to sound thin. Just like it doesn't need to sound scooped and lost in the mix. However, it's true, we hear a lof of that kind of sound. Blegh.

My current 'Jazz' (it doesn't look like a Jazz, but it *is* a Jazz in everything else) is certainly not thin nor ultra scooped, at least not the way I use it.