Why become a member? ×

Jazz basses, what's the point?

FinnDave

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1478880418' post='3172388']
Don't me wrong, I love my P basses as well, and I agree with bandmates when they say they prefer the sound of P in the mix. No one is telling me what bass to play, but they always prefer the sound of the P over the J, so that's what gets used. I started out on a Jazz yesterday, then switched to a Precision after half a dozen for so songs, and the guitarist and drummer immediately said how much better it sounded.

To be honest, I am increasingly finding the Jazz basses to sound a bit thin and lacking that authority thump of a decent Precision, but I suspect I'd forget that if I sold the Js and a year or two down the lone would splash out on another!
[/quote]
Seriously, try a Yamaha BB. Both options, and the bridge pickup is every bit as loud as the P pickup.
On less rocky stuff, standard P bass (with flats) every time.

Edited by Telebass

Hello FinnDave,

I've got short fingers, so my Fender Custom Shop Jazz is easier (than a Precision) to play 'cos it has a thinner (1.5 inches at the nut) neck. I've also got a MusicMan Sterling (same size) for the same reason. I've found that if I keep the nails of my right hand (I'm right handed) very short, especially the index finger, so that the nails do not make contact with the strings (just the skin of my fingers) the sound is transformed. I also use compression. There's always the option to use flats rather than round wounds too. So, in my case, I play a Jazz, or Sterling for practical reasons. I also believe that the sound of a Jazz can be customised to what you want.

Frankly, If anyone in my band even hinted that I should be playing a Precision, I'd tell them to f..k o.f.

Edited by titchfieldrelic

I`ve only got Precisions so don`t have the luxury of trying out other basses in the band, but for me the instrument used has to be the one that sounds the best for the band. Our guitarist bought a great guitar, a P90 equiped Les Paul but as soon as he played it in the band we all knew it wasn`t right so he sold it on. Likewise I`ve tinkered with different amps/cabs etc and keep coming back to the same gear (when will I learn, lol), the guys will always say of they like something, or prefer the previous etc. I don`t think there`s anything wrong in a band knowing what fits their sound best and letting the band members know that.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1478999059' post='3173271']
. . . the guys will always say of they like something, or prefer the previous etc. I don`t think there`s anything wrong in a band knowing what fits their sound best and letting the band members know that.
[/quote]

+1

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1478878969' post='3172354']
Now don't get me wrong, I love the aesthetics of a Jazz bass, and I love the sound when I play them alone (as you do when trying them out in a shop...) but whenever I turn up to play with a band and get one of my JBs out, they always ask if I've brought a P bass with me, as no matter who I play with, they always prefer the sound of the Precision.

So I have a Fender Classic 60s Jazz, nitro finish, lovely beast, and a new US Standard Jazz both sitting in cases upstairs and I never get to use them in anger.

Is this a common experience? I suppose in an ideal world I'd meet someone with a pair of little-used Precisions because they always play Jazzes and we could arrange a swap!

Glad I got that off my chest, now back to learning tomorrow's set....on a Precision!
[/quote]
??

Every single time I've had an audition, I have bought my Jazz. More versatile than a P and everyone always remarks on how good it sounds.

[quote name='NickA' timestamp='1478891744' post='3172577']
cause guitarists etc just want a deep thud thud thud sound underneath their lovely imaginative solo work. It's an ego thing I reckon. I get "can you make it sound more fretted?" (luckily my Wal has a switch for that).

There is a kind of fix for a J-bass which is to put in a switch that puts the pickups in series (they add rather than cancelling any harmonics) I put one on my Frankenbass. Makes it sound louder, fatter and less "interesting". A P switch in fact - then you sneak the pickups back to parallel when no-one's watching ;¬)
[/quote] Yep i think this is spot on ...I dont really have a preference both a P or a J can sound great although a P is a little uninteresting on its own it does come into its own in the mix .
I find the best musicians will work with your sound as much as you work with there's which is how it should be ,i also find its more common with rock blues and country players to want to relegate the bass to a secondary position !

Well, having gigged my Precision last night with a new band, all I can say is that once again it sounded perfect, not too prominent but really 'there' in the mix. The drummer commented several times on how good it sounded, and he's been playing in bands for about 45 years.

I'm seriously thinking of outing my US jazz (and maybe the classic 60 as well) as I can't stand giving house room to stuff I don't use. Strangely, I don't really have a preference for narrow Jazz necks or chunky Precisions, I just play whatever I pick up. It's all about the sound with a band for me.

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1479036454' post='3173412']When I've played P-type basses I've not been able to hear myself through the rest of the band.[/quote]

I'd say that's either an effect of bad EQ from the guitarist(s) or keyboard players or you need to raise the cab or you just need to turn up.

Everyone hears me when I play my P bass! I don't play with bad guitarists but I am always telling keyboard players to lay off the left hand and take the low bass out of their sound.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1479037970' post='3173431']
I often feel the P bass rather than hear it, but everyone notices if you stop playing, the entire bottom falls out of the song.
[/quote]

I think this can be true of bass in general.

I'll be mixing a song, worry that I can't really hear the bass then as soon as I mute it - wow, it was being heard!

I have to say that although I do not get a good sound many great players do. So is the Jazz a great bass? The best are. As for P/J basses. I have one and the I believe that the sound go the P pickup is affected by the J Volume pot. It is in parallel so effectively reduces the value of the P Pickup Volume control. All P/Js should have a 3 way switch IMHO.

Edited by Chienmortbb

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1478878969' post='3172354']
Now don't get me wrong, I love the aesthetics of a Jazz bass, and I love the sound when I play them alone (as you do when trying them out in a shop...) but whenever I turn up to play with a band and get one of my JBs out, they always ask if I've brought a P bass with me, as no matter who I play with, they always prefer the sound of the Precision.

So I have a Fender Classic 60s Jazz, nitro finish, lovely beast, and a new US Standard Jazz both sitting in cases upstairs and I never get to use them in anger.

Is this a common experience? I suppose in an ideal world I'd meet someone with a pair of little-used Precisions because they always play Jazzes and we could arrange a swap!

Glad I got that off my chest, now back to learning tomorrow's set....on a Precision!
[/quote]

I know its a bit late (since you've put them up for sale) but not too late because I'll guess they've not gone yet........BUT....

Have you tried some kind of decent EQ, for example a parametric EQ or graphic equaliser (pedal, or maybe rackmount) in the signal chain before the amplifier? Or does the amp have decent enough EQ controls to suffice? It might simply be that the "thump" of a Precision; or the full-range bright sound of the Jazz, can be controlled/replicated/removed using thoughtfully set up controls.

[quote name='thegummy' timestamp='1479066090' post='3173687']
Any tips on how you EQ a J to have more of a P thump?
[/quote]

To do this I went neck pickup, add in mids - low-mids if available - and reduce top-end. It`s the same sort of tone, just not as big sounding.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1479067337' post='3173697']
Probably easier to roll of the bottom and low mids from a P bass to get a more Jazz like sound if really needed.
[/quote]

Yes, in my limited experience of Precision basses, this would partially work too. However the tone controls would be on the floor or the rackmount unit, it would need an element of planning - with a Jazz bass, you can tweak the balance of the pickups "on the fly".

Its also worth stating, that you won't make a Precision sound exactly like a Jazz; or vice versa, simply with EQ. There is something about the Jazz which is distinctive, and can be mostly tamed using EQ. Its also possible to adapt playing style too, to get closer to the desired sound.

For clarity, what I mean is: with suitable EQ, you can get either bass much closer in sound to the distinctive sound of the other (but never 100% there). BUT the additional control that a Jazz offers, due to 2 pickups, means you can also alter the sound during a song too, for example by rolling off the neck pickup to 7-8 while the bridge pickup is left on full. With a Precision, a similar thing could be done but you'd need to preset an EQ pedal or sucklike, and the opportunity to alter it is more limited. So the Jazz is more versatile in that it can produce a wider range of sounds, and blend from "fit in" to "stand out" in situations using just the bass's controls, thus not needing pedals etc if you wanted to retain a simple setup.

Edited by paul_c2