Why become a member? ×

Guitar Amp for a 12 year old

niagra

Hi all,

It's our eldest's 12th birthday in December and he wants a new amp. It would be for home and rehearsal use and maybe gigs in the future. I'm quite happy browsing the net, but it all gets a bit overwhelming with the amount of choice out there!

I'm sure a modelling amp would be great for him to play around with different sounds, but maybe a simple amp would be best?

Anyway, what are your suggestions?

Thanks,
Dario

I'd have a look at some of the cheaper Blackstar combos, they get consistantly good write ups.
Personally I'd go for a Fender Mustang iii v2, excellent, versatile amps that will seem him right for a good few years. Loads of amp models & built in effects that can be edited via computer if you should want to.
I've been seriously impressed with this amp ever since I saw The Handsome Family live a year or so ago. I expected to see the guitarist using an old Fender amp for the bluesy, swampy sounds he was getting, I was stunned to see it was a £235 solid state amp.

Thanks for the advice chaps. I'd forgotten I'd read a review of the ID 100/150w amps in last month's Guitarist mag. Looks like I'll be going for the 100w one I think, if I can get it past the management. The Fender suggestions look a great option but maybe too much gadgetry - he likes playing rather than fiddling really.

Dario

I was hoping to get one that he could use at home and also take to his rock school nights, is that going to be a compromise too far?
Perhaps I should go for a nice home use one then, there's a nice 1 watt valve amp by Blackstar:
[url="https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/HT1R/combo-amps/blackstar-ht-1r-1w-1x8-tube-guitar-amp-with-reverb"]https://www.anderton...amp-with-reverb[/url]

[quote name='niagra' timestamp='1479024672' post='3173316']
I was hoping to get one that he could use at home and also take to his rock school nights, is that going to be a compromise too far?
Perhaps I should go for a nice home use one then, there's a nice 1 watt valve amp by Blackstar:
[url="https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/HT1R/combo-amps/blackstar-ht-1r-1w-1x8-tube-guitar-amp-with-reverb"]https://www.anderton...amp-with-reverb[/url]
[/quote]

I'd go for an amp he can do both things with. I've had guitar combos ranging from 5 watts to 100 watts over the years & I've used them quietly at home with no problems. They do have volume controls you know. :)

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1479142599' post='3174285']
Take your son(and his guitar) amp shopping - it's important that he likes the sound of the amp at the volume level he is going to be using it at.
[/quote]
Good point, provided you can try them in a small demo room as that will be more acoustically like a bedroom. A visit to Guitar Guitar in Birmingham would seem ideal given your location.

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1479142599' post='3174285']
Take your son([b]and his guitar[/b]) amp shopping - it's important that he likes the sound of the amp at the volume level he is going to be using it at.
[/quote]

Just to emphasise the important bit.

It took me years to understand why guitars and amps I bought from guitar shops never sounded as good when I got them home.

Good idea to take him along for a tryout. As for used amps, I'm all for used equipment (I'm in the market for a bass amp) but a child's present has to be new imho.

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1479203762' post='3174663']
In my experience young'uns love the Line 6 Spider amps. Vast (and I mean VAST) range of sounds and effects and enough gadgetry to keep an 11 occupied for ages.
[/quote]
I've looked at these before but they don't seem to be well liked from what I've read? And he's not really into gadgets - he doesn't even want a phone ( a good thing!)

Thanks for the replies,
Dario

[quote name='Danuman' timestamp='1479080537' post='3173835']
If you don't mind buying a used amp, a Peavey classic 30 wouldn't stretch your budget too far. Those little monsters keep up with the best of 'em.
[/quote]
This would be my suggestion - get one of the older models (the newer models have a curve in the top side of the front surround). Stevie Ray Vaughn played through them and so did Nile Rodgers for a while. Great Fender tones.

[quote name='niagra' timestamp='1479221752' post='3174844']
I've looked at these before but they don't seem to be well liked from what I've read?
[/quote]

Line 6 Spiders are pretty terrible amps IMO.
I tried one with my Gretsch earlier this year and was astonished at just how bad it was.

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1479203762' post='3174663']
In my experience young'uns love the Line 6 Spider amps. Vast (and I mean VAST) range of sounds and effects and enough gadgetry to keep an 11 occupied for ages.
[/quote]
[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1479491190' post='3177006']
Line 6 Spiders are pretty terrible amps IMO.
I tried one with my Gretsch earlier this year and was astonished at just how bad it was.
[/quote]

Avoid!