Why become a member? ×

New (2nd hand) Musicman Stingray bass, could of gripes...

DawnPatrol1990

Hey!

I've just bought an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray bass. Got it for such a steal that I couldn't complain but I had a look at the electronics on it and have a few gripes about the way they're made.

Firstly, can anyone tell me if the 2 band EQ is boost only or boost and cut? If it's boost only then fair enough and my first gripe is nulled but if it's boost and cut then I'm really bugged at the fact the pots don't have a centre detent. Next up is the output jack. Doubt I need to say anything here apart from plastic jack... really Musicman? Plastic? No!

Lastly, I think they should have put a series/parralel/coil split on the Stingray as well as the Sterling, having played (and currently borrowing) a friends Sterling, the 3 band EQ and S/P/CS 3 way switch just adds so many cool tonal options.

So, here are my questions...

1: Can I change the output jack to a Switchcraft Stereo one? The pre amp board has 3 wires coming off it, 1 red, 1 white and 1 black so I don't know which would go to what...

2: Is there a way to mod the pick up to add in a S/P/CS 3 way switch? (I'd just add a DPDT ON/ON/ON switch to the control plate for the switching)

3: If the pre amp is boost and cut, would it be worth trying to change the pots to centre detent ones and does any one what type of pots (resistance value and linear or log taper) they use for it?

Apart from those small issues, I love the bass to pieces. It's so nice to play and i'm really happy with it but with a bass that is the price they are new, these just seem like really poor finishing touches. Any help would be appreciated :)

Thanks

Hey man. Can't answer all of them for you but I have a 2 band eq stingray and can tell you it's a boost. I think the actual official term is it starts at a slight cut and boosts from there. But it's. as I ally a boost unlike the 3 band which is cut and boost with centre indent. Only reason I know is I asked the exact same question a week ago, lol.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Use your ears and don't rely on centre detent pots and you'll get on fine with it (they're never truly flat response in the middle anyway....)[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Spend some time with it before you start trying to mod it - if only because you'll ruin the resale value if you decide to move it on and its been modded (unless its something recognised like a John East preamp swap). People buy Stingrays because of their inherent sound usually.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Sounds like you have an aftermarket jack socket - just get it swapped for a Switchcraft.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Or you could sell it and get a 3 band version - they have centred pots - but be aware they sound quite different to a 2 band (actually more like a Sterling i think so may even suit you better)[/font][/color]