Why become a member? ×

Which strings for reverse headstock bass?

ribbetingfrog

I just bought an ESP LTD Phoenix bass, like a Thunderbird with a reverse headstock.

Normally, the G string is the longest and the E is the shortest but this is the other way round.
Problem is it means that normal string sets don't fit.

The bass is 34" scale.
Distance from ball end to tuner on E strings is about 42.5".
G string is about 37.5".

Long scale strings only just reach the E tuner with nothing left to wrap around.

Am I best with extra long scale strings even though on the G string the silk starts way beyond the tuner?

It won't matter if the silk doesn't extend far enough down the string to be included in what's wound around the tuning peg - lots of strings don't have any silks on them at either end (like the set of Legacy nickel rounds I put on my 5 string the other week). Another option is to buy individual strings of a length to suit your needs but it's likely the more expensive way to go.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='DawnPatrol1990' timestamp='1480646963' post='3186114']
Long scale Rotosound Swing Bass string or D'addario Nickels should do the trick. That's what I used on a reverse headstock LTD Phoenix 204
[/quote]

D'Addarrio bass strings are all 48" long. Our long scale bass strings begin to taper at 36 7/8"