Why become a member? ×

Suggestions for aggressive sounding nickel strings

markdavid

[quote name='markdavid' timestamp='1479976612' post='3180657']
Hi, have decided to broaden my range to stainless steel strings as i think i may be more likely to get the aggressive tone i am after, how are Daddario pro steels for aggressive tone? Thanks
[/quote]

They do sound bright and with a lot of attack, one of my fav SS strings. Also quite comfortable (for example I lover the rorosound Swingbass66 but that is just too rough for daily use :-) )
The D'A nickels are also bright, one of the brightest nickels out there that I've tried, though they seem to loose their top end quite soon - in my experience. Great selection for gauges though.

I tried Elixirs ( sorry forgot I had tried them too ) and I was disappointed. They do last longer, yes, but the initial brightness just isn't as good as with say, Rotos. The Elixir guitar strings are, however, incredible! Bright and long lasting. I just found the bass strings to be muddy compared to an uncoated steel string. It's annoying because my brother in law gets Elixr guitar strings free from Elixr and he could easily get me a supply of bass strings. I just don't like them.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1480103196' post='3181758']
We have a batch at BassGear

#2610 are 45-100 @£11.99
#2610B are 45-126 @£14.99

Usually only available on eBay but we can supply direct for BC members :)
[/quote]That is were I ordered mine from I did not know it was your shop anyway I am a happy customer and delivery was good :) now get some more 45-105's in stock lol

Ok recieved the prosteels unfortunately i dont think these are gonna cut it, i know Daddario makes some great products and i am sure it is just a case of the strings being the wrong match accoustically for this bass, i found the treble to be only very slightly stronger than the nickels i already had on the bass and the tone if anything was a little on the polite side and lacking bite , wish i had gone for the xl nickels now, back to the drawing board

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1480148661' post='3181947']
That is were I ordered mine from I did not know it was your shop anyway I am a happy customer and delivery was good :) now get some more 45-105's in stock lol
[/quote]

We bought a random job lot of Dean Markley strings because they were either being discontinued or the distributor wasn't stocking them in the UK any more.

All we have left, in this design, are the two gauges above.

There's all sorts of other types & gauges etc. though

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1480103196' post='3181758']

We have a batch at BassGear

#2610 are 45-100 @£11.99
#2610B are 45-126 @£14.99

Usually only available on eBay but we can supply direct for BC members :)
[/quote]
I've looked on website , no trace of the strings.

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1480180282' post='3182330']
I've looked on website , no trace of the strings.
[/quote] try the ebay shop http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dean-Markley-Helix-Stainless-Steel-bass-guitar-4-5-string-sets-select-gauge-/222189574507?var=&hash=item33bb87d96b:m:myyxptcHhDIzisYWT_Wp97Q there is a few types on there

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1480184776' post='3182386']
try the ebay shop http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dean-Markley-Helix-Stainless-Steel-bass-guitar-4-5-string-sets-select-gauge-/222189574507?var=&hash=item33bb87d96b:m:myyxptcHhDIzisYWT_Wp97Q there is a few types on there
[/quote]
Cheers

[quote name='markdavid' timestamp='1480159891' post='3182072']
Ok recieved the prosteels unfortunately i dont think these are gonna cut it, i know Daddario makes some great products and i am sure it is just a case of the strings being the wrong match accoustically for this bass, i found the treble to be only very slightly stronger than the nickels i already had on the bass and the tone if anything was a little on the polite side and lacking bite , wish i had gone for the xl nickels now, back to the drawing board
[/quote]
Literally don't know what you want. What are these near sounding steel nickel strings? Pro Steels are really bright!

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1480260725' post='3182855']

Literally don't know what you want. What are these near sounding steel nickel strings? Pro Steels are really bright!
[/quote]As i said i am sure it is a case of the strings not being the right match for the bass,i experienced this years ago with Roto steels sounding great on one bass and awful on another

[quote name='markdavid' timestamp='1480294361' post='3183203']

I have Rotobass nickel plated strings on at the moment, they seem one of the better nickels i have tried so far
[/quote]
I wouldn't say Roto nickels are that bright at all; Prosteels are brighter I would say than Roto steels!

If you like Roto nickels then I would try DR Lo Riders or SIT Powerwound nickels which would be a touch brighter.

[quote name='markdavid' timestamp='1480294361' post='3183203']
I have Rotobass nickel plated strings on at the moment, they seem one of the better nickels i have tried so far
[/quote]

Are these the Rotobass RS35s? Maybe the Swing Bass series might be more suitable; they are designed to give a lot of brightness and sustain, more so than some of the slightly cheaper series. Can't comment on how they typically compare to Pro Steels, unfortunately!

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1480184776' post='3182386']
try the ebay shop [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dean-Markley-Helix-Stainless-Steel-bass-guitar-4-5-string-sets-select-gauge-/222189574507?var=&hash=item33bb87d96b:m:myyxptcHhDIzisYWT_Wp97Q"]http://www.ebay.co.u...hDIzisYWT_Wp97Q[/url] there is a few types on there
[/quote]

Thanks for the link :)

It was potentially a bit 'sensitive' to list on the main site so eBay is sometimes easier (although the fees are a killer!).

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1480358226' post='3183686']
Thanks for the link :)

It was potentially a bit 'sensitive' to list on the main site so eBay is sometimes easier (although the fees are a killer!).
[/quote] Do you know I always forget to look at your website I am just so used to going on ebay auto pilot and you are right the fees are getting very greedy

• 1 month later...

[quote name='D'AddarioUK' timestamp='1480006588' post='3180987']

ProSteels are one of our brightest sounding strings, we make many of our more popular gauges in short and medium scale sets in both steel and nickel plated steel. If you're still interested in trying some nickels from our range our NYXL Bass strings are the brightest nickel plated steel strings we manufacture.
[/quote] thanks, i will definitely give the nyxl strings a try

• 3 weeks later...