Why become a member? ×

Suggestions for aggressive sounding nickel strings

markdavid

Hi all, as per thread title i am after suggestions for aggressive sounding nickel strings,i am using nickel strings as i prefer the less abrasive feel of them compared to stainless steel strings but i am not totally opposed to ss strings if the tone is good enough to warrant their use.

For reference this is for a dark sounding single pickup short scale bass,doesn't have to be strings specifically for short scale as i have successfully used long scale strings on other short scale basses many times in the past.

Dunlop Super Bright nickels, or standard D'Addario nickels are the brightest I know of.

Also not all steels are that rough - the Dunlop Super Bright steels for example are much smoother than D'Addario FlexSteels.

Edited by dannybuoy

I wasn't that impressed with the Dulop SuperBright steels I bought. My problem with them was that I was after a very bright tone and, despite the name, they just didn't have it, so not for me, but other people clearly love them.

Though I would say that they are very smooth for ss roundwounds.

When I switched back to hi beams I thought I was going to get blisters on my fretting fingers for the first time in about 20 years because they were that much rougher.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1479209405' post='3174721']
Depends what you mean by "aggressive" - if that means plenty of "clank" then Rotosound RS66 nickels will give you plenty of that - but slightly less than the SS ones. Better still, I think they're available in short-scale as well. I thought the Dunlops did a fair job, though I've only used them once.
[/quote] I wouldn't say I am after clank, I tend to use light gauge strings and have worked on my technique to reduce the clank as I find clank comes at the expense of growl/grind and I guess growly/grindy tone is what I am after so growly/grindy highs rather than clean

I`ve just picked up a Jazz which has the stock Fender 7250M nickel plated steel string on and it has a very nice growl to it when you dig in. It`s changing my opinion on Jazzes as I`d always thought them too thin/weedy sounding (for me that is, love them when others play them) but these strings really react well to aggressive playing. Worth checking out imo, especially as they`re pretty reasonable on pricing.

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1479454167' post='3176610']
I have to use steels , as I get horrible rashes when I use nickel. I find Rotosounds are very bright. In fact , if you want a brighter, more metallic sound, steels are your best bet everytime , in my opinion.
[/quote] I have half been considering stainless steel , the things that have stopped me are the finger noise that comes with steel and the roughness of the strings, the roughness I can probably get used to but not a fan of the finger noise , perhaps I should just a get a set of steels and see if i can get used to this

Apart from the obvious skin reasons, I do prefer the bright sound of steels. I know it's a contentious issue, but brand new strings just do it for me. It's the sound I prefer. Brand new strings, Ampeg SVT . Mutts nuts!

[quote name='markdavid' timestamp='1479976612' post='3180657']
Hi, have decided to broaden my range to stainless steel strings as i think i may be more likely to get the aggressive tone i am after, how are Daddario pro steels for aggressive tone? Thanks
[/quote]

Can't help you there mate, as I've only tried Elites, Rotosounds and some cheapos. The cheapos even had a great sound, so I'd stick my neck out and guess. The Dadarrios will be great!

[quote name='markdavid' timestamp='1479976612' post='3180657']
Hi, have decided to broaden my range to stainless steel strings as i think i may be more likely to get the aggressive tone i am after, how are Daddario pro steels for aggressive tone? Thanks
[/quote]

ProSteels are one of our brightest sounding strings, we make many of our more popular gauges in short and medium scale sets in both steel and nickel plated steel. If you're still interested in trying some nickels from our range our NYXL Bass strings are the brightest nickel plated steel strings we manufacture.

[quote name='D'AddarioUK' timestamp='1480006588' post='3180987']

ProSteels are one of our brightest sounding strings, we make many of our more popular gauges in short and medium scale sets in both steel and nickel plated steel. If you're still interested in trying some nickels from our range our NYXL Bass strings are the brightest nickel plated steel strings we manufacture.
[/quote]

What d addario strings do you recommend for my jazz bass. I'm after smooth strings that deliver a growly and bright sound. Thanks

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1479006637' post='3173286']
Dunlop Super Bright nickels, or standard D'Addario nickels are the brightest I know of.
[/quote]

I'd have suggested exactly the same strings :)

Also, stainless steel Elixirs, the coating makes them silky smooth and you won't lose all your top end after a few weeks!