Why become a member? ×

Preferring the cheaper (inferior) model

Guest MoJo

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1479032916' post='3173374']
I know Walter Trout has played a lowly Squier Strat for donkeys years. I'm sure he could have any guitar he liked but wouldn't be without the Squier.
[/quote]
Francis Dunnery (ex It Bites) was the same -- for years his #1 guitar was a white Squier Strat. He had 'proper' Fenders but always drifted back to the cheapy. He used to say a guitar was only as good as its neck and for him, the Squier's was perfect.

I wouldn't hesitate to use the cheapest one if it was the best tool for the job, or I liked it most

However none of my basses are expensive anyway, since I'm unconvinced that a really expensive bass will make me a better bass player just by itself

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1479034644' post='3173390']
I have a similar thing with my Spectors
I have a legend 4 that I bought ages ago and love it , I then ordered a Euro4LX , a beautiful guitar with a fantastic usable tone range ,but, the neck being through , is a tiny bit thicker , hard to measure and slightly fatter than the bolt on legend neck.
To me the difference is chalk and cheese and the legend is my go to. I suppose I should have played a few Euros before I ordered a new one!!
[/quote]
I was kind of going to say the same thing in reverse - I pretty much gave up playing bass after buying a Yamaha 5 string that I couldn't get along with, but that was until about 8 or 9 years ago when I bought a second-hand Spector Euro 5lx and rediscovered the joy of bass. I honestly can't imagine how the more expensive, USA made version could be any better than its cheaper European cousin. I truly love it, even its Tone pump preamp.

Edited by darkandrew

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1479056295' post='3173582']
Lucky you. A cheap instrument that really does it for you is the Holy Grail. Who cares about the label? Imagine you were blind. Which would you have? Any fool can hock the house and buy a Fodera or similar.
[/quote]

I like your thinking.

Have had a Sterling SUB Ray 4 for a few months now and recently had a play on a 'proper' Stingray. As far as I'm concerned the latter isn't 10 x a better instrument even though the price is. But I've still yet to find anything I like as much as my 10 year old Cirrus BXP 4 that cost less than £400 when new.

I wonder if there is a bit of psychology in this, do some musicians feel they are perhaps not good enough to warrant a top of the range bass? I have an American Precision but prefer the Mexican 50's Classic and Roadworn, I had owned countless Stingray's and never took to any of them, I have just picked up a US made Sub bass and finally I find a Stingray I feel at home with. I have a cracking dealer edition Warwick $$ Corvette it has never been a go to bass for me, I dig it out from time to time, give it a whirl, think how great it is to play, then put it away and go back to a cheaper bass!

I can't and never will be able to play like my bass idols despite having been playing for over 30 years, I know I am a decent bass player and I am sure I am fully deserving of a decent bass but I am not a top bass player so probably don't feel at home on a top end bass....if that makes sense?

I loved my Tokai Love Rock's. I had a Gibson LP Studio, and bought one as a backup, it was soon relegated to the backup, and spent more time in the case. So I sold it & bought another, and kept that one for over 10 years.

Saying that, I love my Rockinbetter Fakers too. I'd still like a real Ric, after I had to sell my old 4003, but if I do, I'll still use my Fakers.

Funny thing is the older you get the less all this matters. Played vintage for yrs now play a cheap Chinese Squire and its all good. In fact the cheapo version kinda makes me feel I have to up my technique to make it sound good..sorta reverse psychology if you like. but its improved my playing 110%...

The moral is, always play the gear that sounds and plays the best to you.

I've tried several very expensive basses and preferred the less expensive bass I already own.

A few years ago I tried to down grade my gear to less expensive stuff but it didn't sound right, so everyone has their tipping point where the cost and playability are in balance.

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1479239239' post='3175010']
OP: I don't know either of those basses mentioned but would it make sense/be possible to swap the hardware over to the bass you prefer so you have the better quality of hardware on your main bass?
[/quote]

It has crossed my mind to see if the neck on the BB414 will fit on the 1024 body

Edited by MoJo

[quote name='landwomble' timestamp='1479056414' post='3173586']
I got a Squier CV 70s P last year. Not really picked my Fender Jazz 75RI with a John East pre up since. There's just something right about it.
I suspect the Sterling Sub I got last week will be the same, it just makes you grin when you pick it up...
[/quote]

....and I tried the Sub out at rehearsal volume tonight and I'm sold on it. It's great. My band prefers it to expensive things and I'm gigging it Friday.

Squier over Fender for me. My main workhorse is a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz. I love it to pieces, it just sounds and feels brilliant. I've owned several basses over the years that cost 5+ times the retail price including a Fender Jazz and they just never made me feel the way this bass feels. I played a beautiful '74 Jazz at a guitar show once and didn't have the cash at the time to buy it, spent a few years brooding over it. When the Squier Vintage Modified came out I played one in a music shop and decided I needed to have one because this was the closest I'd managed to get to that '74 sound without paying £1800 for it.

Side by side with an American Standard I'd take my Squier any day which is a test I've repeated many times always with the same outcome.

• 3 weeks later...

Having had a chance to spend some time with the BB1024, I have altered my opinion. Whilst still preferring the profile of the 414 neck over the 1024, I find that I prefer everything else about the 1024 above the 414 and the former has now become my 'go to' bass. ;)

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1480975532' post='3188714']
Having had a chance to spend some time with the BB1024, I have altered my opinion. Whilst still preferring the profile of the 414 neck over the 1024, I find that I prefer everything else about the 1024 above the 414 and the former has now become my 'go to' bass. ;)
[/quote]
I think neck preferences is a strange one. Familurity, and therefore the patience to give it a chance plays a large part. If it sounds good and feels familiar your there.
I've played everything from skinny ibanez 4's to old "cricket bat" warwicks and have learned to get on with them all

Another vote here for Squier CV P over my American Special model. I bought a Squier CV 70s as a backup. IMO it sounds better than the US, and the band agrees. I think the American feels better, but is marginal. Some of the components on the Squier are clearly worse quality, whereas some are better (jack socket is shockingly poor for example, but the brassbridge is better).