Why become a member? ×

Left or Right handed

EntropicLqd

At the risk of duplicating many recent topics, I thought there ought to be a poll. Maybe a mod could add the poll to one of the other threads or something.

Anyway, hopefully I've covered all the basses with the poll options.

[i]Edits: Would help if I could type[/i]

Edited by EntropicLqd

im left handed and play a right handed bass, but am of that certain age where we were converted at school to right handedness as they thought we may be devil spawn, my folks stopped them but when I wanted to play guitar i was offered a right handed instrument and a sound thrashing if I tried any novel ways of playing it other than that of julian breem !

Guest Bald Eagle

[quote name='steve-soar' post='31627' date='Jul 13 2007, 11:56 PM']Are you talking about people who write with their left hand and play with their right hand?[/quote]

I don't think it's about being ampidextrous or 'caggie' handed it's a straightforward question innit? Or is it? f'd if I know, or if it even matters.

There seems to be an unusually high demographic of lefties here (me included) - going by the current results of the voting, around 30%. The national average is around 10%... I wonder what we can draw from this? Probably something to do with right-brain thinkers being more creative, and possibly more drawn to playing music?

I'm right-handed & play bass right-handed, but can only play piano left-handed.

Still looking for a left-handed one though....

My five year old is left handed when writing or drawing, but occasionally switches over to right hand. He often used to pick up his mini-strat like Jimi when he first got it, but I suggested he might like to try it the right way round and now he's quite happy playing it that way.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='31675' date='Jul 14 2007, 09:40 AM']Most people are left or right handed. I guess the acid test is which hand do you masturbate with?[/quote]

Right now, I really can't think of anything quite sharp enough as a reply to this question. I've been married over twenty years you know.

Much love
P
x

• 3 weeks later...

*ahem*

On the topic of left handedness...

[url="http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6212972.stm"]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6212972.stm[/url]
[url="http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4242419.stm"]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4242419.stm[/url]
[url="http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4073775.stm"]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4073775.stm[/url]

[i]"Scientists have discovered the first gene which appears to increase the odds of being left-handed.
The Oxford University-led team believe carrying the gene may also slightly raise the risk of developing psychotic mental illness such as schizophrenia."[/i]

So that makes us quick thinkin', rufty-tufty, crazyasses...

...y'all bin warned. :)

Wehey, We're quick thinking, more likely to die, but will come out tops in a fight, although we may have an emotional breakdown afterwards.

Love it.

Lefty playing right handed bass. Right foot is the prodominate foot though, go figure as I write/paint/draw/detail with my left hand yet do most other things with my right hand.

[quote name='skywalker' post='40078' date='Aug 1 2007, 04:45 PM']Write right handed, eat right handed, play bass right handed, play drums left handed, play golf left handed, bat (cricket) left handed, bowl (cricket) right handed, kick with both feet.

Am I right or am I left??[/quote]

You are just a crazy mixed up kid.
:)

Write left handed, do everything else right-handed. Always wanted a LH drive car when I was first learning coz the gear stick seemed in the wrong place, but got over that after about 5 minutes.

Been told by my chiropractor I'm actually right hand-dominant, which makes sense. Can't play bass left-handed at all, or squash.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Ocean's 7 Play at Brecon Jazz Festival yesterday ..
Thw double bass player was left handed .. The double bass was strung left handed .. I can't say I've ever seen a lefthanded AUB player before. I assume he's a convert from left handed electric ..

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='Merton' post='40085' date='Aug 1 2007, 04:55 PM']Been told by my chiropractor I'm actually right hand-dominant, which makes sense. Can't play bass left-handed at all, or squash.[/quote]

Right - I'm a Doctor , me , so I know these things.

Without thinking about it , clasp your hands together like you were praying but with your fingers wrapped round to form a balled double fist.

Which thumb is on top? That's your dominant side. If you have the other thumb on top it feels uncomfortable. If they both feel OK you're ambidextrous.

As to the 'which hand do you masturbate with' test - got me thinking......

If you lie on your arm for a bit before you play bass - does it feel like somebody else is playing it ?? :)

According to Dr Dave's 'praying' test I'm right dominant. But I do anything that requires a single handed control left handed. I write left handed, hold a spoon/raquet left handed. However, virtually anything that is two handed I do (or did) right handed (bass/knife and fork/golf/cricket). The only thing that I guess is technically two handed that I do lefty is hold a snooker cue but that is so dominant on one of the hands I'm not surprised I do it lefty.
I'm sure that it's been said before but for bass being a lefty playing right makes sense - you have all the dexterity and control in the hand which is moving around most. I guess I lose out on some RH strumming dexterity and might partly explain why I can't slap too well.