Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot monster cabinet

Treb

I have this memory of a monster of a Trace Elliot cabinet that was made up from four different speaker sizes (10/12/15/18 perhaps) all stacked up on top of eachother. Did it really exist or am I losing it? If it did exist, who owned one and how did it sound? Pics?

Trace Elliot did do the BFC that had a fifteen and four tens in one box. The four ten inch speakers were split in to 'left and 'right' thus operating in stereo whilst the 15" speaker received bi-amped lows from the matching Trace head.

Tecamp did the Bad Cab that had all sorts of cones in it: 15's,12's,10's and a pair of tweeters.

Edited by dood

You might be thinking of the BFC which was a 1x15 and two 2 x10 in one cab.

Effectively three cabs in one each of 4-ohms so it needed an amp with 3 power channels like the AH1000 to drive it.

Ha Ha. Beaten to it by the Dood.

Edited by obbm

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1479248554' post='3175127']
I kinda want one of those cabs to pair with my Trace V6.

My 30 watt Park by Marshall combo is probably sufficient for my needs at the moment though.
[/quote]

Unfortunately it would not work with a V6.

[quote name='Bolo' timestamp='1479282952' post='3175239']
There is a Peavey 1x18 + 2x10 cab too isn't there?
[/quote]

I seem to recall that Trace did a similar one but with only one 10" speaker. It went with the AH350 amp IIRC... I had one for a while. Rather weighty :huh:

Here's one - http://basschat.co.uk/topic/26862-sold-trace-elliot-1818x-cabwheeled-flightcase-in-leeds-sold/

Edited by Conan

I remember trying the prototype BFC in the Bass Centre in Wapping. It was fairly large! The prototype had the horns in the top corners - not such a good idea when you then fit a TE grill with integrated badge - two horns but only one you could see and hear.

Ampeg made a rather cool and big oddity in the late '90s / early 2000s, the PR-1832:

When Greenboy and I started designing our own cabs he was using the 1832 and I was using two Acme Low-B2s. The 1832 is an 18" in a huge ported enclosure, two 10"s in a small sealed enclosure, two closed-back 6" drivers and a horn. The horn and 6"s had passive high pass filters, the 10" were high-passed by being in such a small enclosure and the 18" was acoustically low-passed by firing diagonally downwards. You could bi-amp if you wanted but you didn't have to. Steve Bailey endorsed it and Victor Wooten endorsed a smaller version which I think had a 15", two 8"s and a horn.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1479289620' post='3175300']
I have to ask, did BFC stand for "Big F****ng Cab"?
[/quote]

I seem to remember reading somewhere that BFC stood for [i]Bass Frequency Cabinet[/i] but maybe that was because they had to come up with a more polite name for it.

I remember David Jacob demoing the new AH1000 & BFC at the guitar show at Birmingham around 2000 with his band.. Absolutley crackers but even more impressive was the V8 plus 810 he played solo on a little stage in the middle of the Trace stand. He had a green 6 string status bass for both demo sessions - I still have the Trace Elliot poster he signed that day too..

Chap I know who used to run a small music shop has a crazy rig that included a trace 4x10 cab, a Peavey 2x15 Black Widow loaded cab and a homemade cab containing a 24" speaker that he salvaged from an old electric organ. Not sure if he ever actually plugged the 24 in but the visual effect alone had quite an impact.

The Peavey mentioned above was the 1810 which was later renamed the 1820. It was an 18" Black Widow and two 10" Scorpions. I used one for years, and Peter Steele of Type O Negative used a pair of them. There was also a 3620 which had two 18" Black Widows. One came up for sale on eBay last year and I was tempted, but sanity prevailed.

As for the Trace BFC, there's one in the storage room at the rehearsal studios we use. Looks mint condition, probably because they don't have the head to go with it so it's sat unused for as long as I've been going there.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='VTypeV4' timestamp='1479320237' post='3175649']
I remember David Jacob demoing the new AH1000 & BFC at the guitar show at Birmingham around 2000 with his band.. He had a green 6 string status bass for both demo sessions - I still have the Trace Elliot poster he signed that day too..
[/quote]

I see his demo in a french musicstore, he also played a green Fender 5 with maple fingerboard.
The sound of the Status 6 with the BFC :blink: is the kind of thing that make you realize how the bass is a powerful instrument !!!

I still have the dedicated poster, a jacket with a big embroidered Trace Elliot logo in the back (a friend win a set of strings).
Great memory, David Jacob is a funny guy.