Why become a member? ×

For those who have good bow knowledge

gypsyjazzer

I am thinking of buying a second bow--as a backup--not wanting to 'spend an arm and a leg'. My knowledge of bows is nearly 'zilch'. So your advice most welcome.

[b]Various questions:[/b]
If I bought new bow how would you know the quality of the bow hair?
Is it good quality bow hair or synthetic hair?
Black or white hair--any difference in volume / tone?
Would you go for a carbon fibre bow?
What would you expect to pay for a Brazilwood Bow?--new or S/H.
What would you expect to pay for a bow re-hair?

Would the best bet to go to a reputable dealer who sells bows?--any recommendations?

Many thanks.

I'm very happy with my Carbondix bow - I think it was about £160. I previously had another carbon bow that had cost about £95, and the Carbondix is absolutely streets ahead in terms of quality - it made huge difference in playing even for a beginner like me. I shopped around a fair bit and read some very strong recommendations re the Carbondix from various teachers.
I also used to buy beautiful tools from the same company, who do a very good range of woodworking stuff including gorgeous Japanese tools of various sorts. They are a German company, called Dictum now, but they used to be called Dick Tools. Not sure why they changed their name...

Just to play devils advocate here, why do you think that you need a backup?

Are you playing an expensive pernambuco stick that you are worried about damaging, or are you in bass player "must have backup for everything" mode?

It's a really good idea to have a case for your bow, which you can put the bow back in anytime you are not playing to avoid accidents on the gig or in transit - if you play french bow, a two piece snooker cue hardcase will do the job, if you play german bow, then there are cases designed for two piece cue plus extension that will get the job done, examples below.

2 piece
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Silver-Padded-Aluminium-Snooker/dp/B00YXPU3CI
2 piece+extension
https://www.amazon.co.uk/BLACK-HARD-PIECE-SNOOKER-CASE/dp/B008JEI6GE

You need to remove the dividers and take some scissors to a cheap bathroom sponge to make some inserts that will stop the bow rattling about inside.

As long as you are looking after your bow properly, it should be reliable (avoid leaving the bow tensioned, don't leave it near radiators or on sunny windowsills, don't leave it in the car for hours on hot days etc) just treat it with a similar level of care and respect to your DB. If you go deeper down the arco rabbit hole and start working on more technically demanding material, rather than needing a spare bow, you are much more likely to want and benefit from a better bow, in which case your current stick will make it's way to backup status.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='DanOwens' timestamp='1479317927' post='3175624']
Steve Berry, who teaches at Cheetham's and RNCM amongst others has a German grip Thomann brand carbon fibre thing and swears by it. I think it was around £70
[/quote]

I heard that Steve's bass cost him £50. The man's a legend!!!