Why become a member? ×

Best flatwound B string - does it exist?

Beer of the Bass

I've had Sadowsky Black Label flatwounds on my 5-string for about 2 1/2 years, and have just recently decided that they were getting a little too dead for me. Out of curiosity I stuck on a set of stainless steel rounds I had lying around (they're Warwick Red Label 0.045-0.130"). I don't think SS rounds are for me overall, as they're so clanky and I just can't get the same character out of the upper strings in particular, but there are some qualities I like about them; the slightly more flexible feel makes them feel easier and a little "faster" to play, and the B string is suddenly usable all over the neck.
I've yet to find a flatwound B that speaks clearly above about the 5th or 6th fret. So far I've had the Sadowsky, a D'Addario Chrome, D'Addario tapewounds and a brief dabble with Status Half Rounds. All of those gave me more or less of a muddy, inharmonic thud higher up the neck, while almost any roundwound sounds good on the same notes. I feel like this may be related to the stiffness of a flatwound B, and I wouldn't mind a slightly more flexible feel across the board.
So, do I seek out some lighter gauge more flexible flats, perhaps the 0.040-0.125" Fender set, Thomastiks or anything else I'm not aware of, or do I just mix and match and keep a roundwound B with a set of four-string flats?

The GHS Precision Flatwound 5 string set I have on my Lull PJ5 sounds pretty good to me across all strings. They are about 5 years old now and are still good live.

I recorded with them earlier this year and through Logic with foam under the strings the B sounded fantastic.

I don't play the B string much above the 7th fret so my experience might not be a good fit for your problem.

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1479298960' post='3175404']
.130 Lo Rider.
[/quote]

IME you have match up the strings with the bass. What sounds and feels great on one bass doesn't automatically work on another. I couldn't get on with Lo Riders on any of my 5-string basses, but LaBella Steels and Warwick Red Labels work perfectly well for me depending on the bass. Unfortunately the only way to find out is to try them all for yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to try out the Fender 9050s, since I needed some new flats anyway and they're cheap. I went for the 9050-5l set, which are 0.40"-0.125", and the lighter gauge does make them quite pleasant to play. They'll need a couple of weeks to lose that brand-new brightness, but I like them. They're not miles from the Chromes and Ernie Ball sets I've used before, though perhaps I would notice some differences if I was to compare them directly. They do seem like a brighter and less thumpy flat than the Sadowskys were, which suits what I want to do with them.
I had to do a bit of fiddling to get the B-string playing well - it's a tapered B but the tapered part is very long. Installed as is, it sounded good with decent sustain in the lower range, but the intonation was all over the place higher up the neck. So I slipped three M6 nuts over the ball end of the string to move the anchor point further back, placing the taper just forward of the saddle. It's a little inelegant, but it does now play nicely over most of the neck.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1480246052' post='3182711']
I needed some new flats anyway
[/quote]
When does one decide one needs new flats?
Flats just sound better the older they get.
One of my basses has some 20 year old flats on it - not planning on changing them any time soon

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1480770926' post='3187008']

When does one decide one needs new flats?
Flats just sound better the older they get.
One of my basses has some 20 year old flats on it - not planning on changing them any time soon
[/quote]

People often say that, but after a couple of years I find the pitch on the lower strings gets indistinct and I just can't get them to sound good any more, even in a band mix. I don't know if my tastes are different or if my body chemistry kills strings. The Fenders are just starting to settle in now, so I reckon they'll be on for a while.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

It may just be the bass. Some basses just dont have a good B. And that could be a Sadowsky or a Fodera or any other bass.

John Patitucci uses a regular round wound B on his 5 string Yamaha jazz bass (Yes, 5, not 6) with flats on the other 4 strings. Maybe give that a whirl? I had good results with this.

• 3 weeks later...