Why become a member? ×

Truss rod adjustment on Yamaha 1024x

niceguyhomer

I've just bought a Yamaha 1024x from a fellow BCer and I've been doing the usual adjusting / bonding with the instrument thing when I got to the truss rod. I wanted to put a bit more relief in the neck but when I turned the TR adjuster counter clockwise, it got tighter not looser. So I turned it clockwise and it got looser.

Is this a feature or is the TR kaput?

If it's a dual action, it's probably just at the middle point. If you carry on turning clockwise, does it then start getting tighter again? If so, then what is happening when it feels tight on the anti-clockwise is that the truss rod will be starting to form a back bow in the neck.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' timestamp='1479364222' post='3175925']
I don't understand this truss rod but I think it works OK. I've ignored the fact that it tightens as you turn it counter clockwise and after about half a turn, I've now got more relief in the neck which is what I was trying to achieve. I guess you live and learn.

Thanks for your help fellas.
[/quote]
Great stuff :)

I think the string pull probably wasn't enough to bow the neck enough for you when the truss rod was at its loose mid point, and as you carried on turning, the truss rod is now simply giving the string pull a helping hand, albeit in the opposite direction to "normal".

Whatever, it's working :)

Yes I think there's been some confusion here.
That as said its a double action rod. If you turn either way it will get tighter clockwise less relief and anti clockwise more relief. But even going anti clockwise on a duel action rod you will feel the nut tighten not to the degree it would however going clockwise.