Why become a member? ×

Darkglass Vintage Microtubes

gazhowe

Hi all

I've recently bought a Darkglass Vintage Microbes to experiment with a bit of mild-medium overdrive. I've used it for three gigs now and it has added extra definition and bite that I really like - so much so that I've been using it as an 'always on' effect.

I've noticed since using the pedal that my overall backline volume has decreased (with my usual amp settings) regardless of whether the effect is switched on or not. The pedal is in line before my amp input and the Level control on the VMT is set at noon to keep my overall volume the same whether the effect is on or off. It appears that the pedal is reducing the signal level going into my amp as I've been able to increase the amp input Gain past the previous point where it would begin to clip without it clipping at the higher level.

This isn't an issue as I can compensate for the apparent lower signal level with an increase to the amp input gain or output volume, or by increasing the Level control on the pedal as it's always on.

I'm just curious, has anyone else used the same pedal and noticed the same thing, or am I'm using the VMT Level control the wrong way?

First of all, how old is your Vintage Microtubes? USA or Finland built?

To be clear, you are saying that your bypassed tone is quieter with the pedal in line, than going direct into the amp? Presume you have tried different cables/power supplies etc?

[quote name='gazhowe' timestamp='1479333061' post='3175803']
.......the Level control on the VMT is set at noon to keep my overall volume the same whether the effect is on or off.
[/quote]

Right idea, but you need to set the level control to whatever setting actually does give you the same volume. Noon position might not be it! Set the gain, blend and era to the sound you want, then adjust the level knob to give the same input to the amp with the effect on as with it off (assuming you do want the same level) That could be 2 o clock or 4 o clock even. The noon position doesn't have any relevance.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1479338685' post='3175862']
To be clear, you are saying that your bypassed tone is quieter with the pedal in line, than going direct into the amp?
[/quote]

As I understand it, he's saying he's expecting unity gain at the noon position?

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1479339213' post='3175865']
As I understand it, he's saying he's expecting unity gain at the noon position?
[/quote]

I was referring to when he said that the volume was lower when the pedal was off, which doesn't sound right at all.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1479338685' post='3175862']
First of all, how old is your Vintage Microtubes? USA or Finland built?

To be clear, you are saying that your bypassed tone is quieter with the pedal in line, than going direct into the amp? Presume you have tried different cables/power supplies etc?
[/quote]

I've just bought it. I don't know whether it's USA or Finland built (I don't have the pedal at home with me to check and there's nothing to indicate either way in the documentation).

It appears that way. My signal chain is [i]bass>Line6 G30>mxr analog chorus>darkglass vmt>bass big muff>amp input[/i]. It's powered at 9v via Cioks Adam power supply and there was no issue with the previous pedal on my board that used the same supply output. I haven't tried different cables or power supply yet as I suspect it's just me being dopey regarding the level setting so thought I'd check that out first!

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1479338960' post='3175864']
Right idea, but you need to set the level control to whatever setting actually does give you the same volume. Noon position might not be it! Set the gain, blend and era to the sound you want, then adjust the level knob to give the same input to the amp with the effect on as with it off (assuming you do want the same level) That could be 2 o clock or 4 o clock even. The noon position doesn't have any relevance.
[/quote]

I did a quick on/off volume test when I added the pedal to my board and the noon setting sounded like the volume was the same with the pedal on or off. I've tweaked the other settings since then so that may be a factor. I'll re-check when I have access to my pedal board again at the weekend.

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1479338960' post='3175864']
[/quote]
That's what I do, using different passive and active basses.