Why become a member? ×

What is/WAS this bass. Calling all bass detectives

julesb

I've just dug this jazz bass out of my cupboard and always wanted to know what it once was. Someone gave it to me a while ago in pretty poor condition. It was once red, had gold hardware with cream pups and it has had an awful defret. The only clue I can see is the serial number on the neck plate. Serial L23880

[attachment=232210:20161117_093649.jpg][attachment=232211:20161117_093707.jpg][attachment=232212:20161117_093743.jpg]

Any bass detectives out there?

Cheers,
Jules

Edited by julesb

Those tuners are MIJ and appear on several Japanese-built brands from the late 70s & early 80s, most notably Tokai. I'd look at old Tokai, Fernandes & ESP catalogues to start with.

Maybe this? Tokai TJB-55.

Edited by Bassassin

Serial number (L plus 5 digits) checks out as post '81 Tokai according to the Tokai Registry page - so that's what it is. Unusual model with P/J pups, don't remember seeing one before.

Shame it's been abused like this but I think if it was mine, I'd consider a refret & give it a Danish Oil refin. I've also seen repro Tokai decals online.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1479406617' post='3176357']
Serial number (L plus 5 digits) checks out as post '81 Tokai according to the Tokai Registry page - so that's what it is. Unusual model with P/J pups, don't remember seeing one before.

Shame it's been abused like this but I think if it was mine, I'd consider a refret & give it a Danish Oil refin. I've also seen repro Tokai decals online.
[/quote]

Great work!

Thanks so much bassassin. I think you are bang on. In this thread http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=81037&sid=25e142ae8e60e0618dbd0d166ff97365
there is a bass which is very similar so I don't think it was an aftermarket rout winipooh

The colour is referred to as all metallic red. Just had a look again in the pup cavity and there is a very faint AMR stamped inside.

The body seems to be a 2 piece so it would be noticeable with an oil finish (which someone seems to have tried already) Thinking of maybe sanding the fingerboard and keeping it fretless but I don't have a fretted bass so it is tempting...

Edited by julesb

• 2 months later...

Back from the dead. Two new pickups, two new pots, refret and a pickguard. Linseed oil finish with a wax polish. Kept everything else that was useable. Kept original jazz pup cover and tried to match it with some diy distressing on the new p pup covers. This doesn't look quite right so might bin the jazz cover. Not sure yet. Looks nothing like it would have originally but sounds great and back in the land of the living.

Edited by julesb

Very nice - I have one of these in the original white but like what you've done.

It's really similar to what I did to my old Aria - build diary here [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/234069-1977-aria-rescue/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/234069-1977-aria-rescue/[/url]

Are '70s sanded finishes coming back into fashion? It's been a while!

Ed

Cheers all. Narural finishes are indeed back! Forgot to mention I had to move the p pup toward the neck a bit to accomodate the impossible to find pickguard. I found one which was cut for a fender blacktop jazz bass and it makes no difference to the sound.

Edited by julesb