Why become a member? ×

Midi Grid Controllers

Leonard Smalls

Has anyone used a grid controller, such as Novation Launchpad, or Ableton Push, or N.I Maschine for mixing?
I'm wondering if there would be an increase in functionality over the basic controller on my Novation Impulse keyboard?
Are they intuitive? Is it wise to use an extra mix surface such as a Launchcontrol, or just buy an Akai APC40/2?
Or are they only any use for completely electronic music and bangin' tunes, man?

I use the Novation LaunchKey and am able to map my controller keys to my DAW and thus yes there are occasions that it has helped with workflow. The transport controls are useful. That said, as soon as I started using a remote control app on my ipad (e.g Logic has an remote app) I haven't used the LaunchKey keys as much. They are accurate on my unit and anything the helps workflow has got to be a good thing.

I use TouchOSC for iPad.
I have mapped presets for both Audio channels, mixing and FX, along with presets for controlling all midi CC#s
and parameters. This has been a great workflow improvement, more so for all things midi related,
that were a fiddly pain with the mouse.