Why become a member? ×

Hello from Northumberland

Rexel Matador

Hi everyone,

I took up bass about 6 months ago after many years of playing guitar. Just did it on a whim to spice things up and now I'm obsessed - should have done it years ago! I've thrown myself in the deep end and joined a hard rock band. I must be doing something right because they're a very talented bunch and they took me on. But I have an awful lot to learn and hope to evolve beyond the point of "guitarist who switched to bass because the band needed a bass player". You can take my plectrum when you pry it from my cold dead hands though ;) - I like the sound and the speed of it. Ironically, I mostly played guitar without one.

I play a white Ibanez SR300E but now spend 24 hours a day coveting various more expensive instruments. My first upgrade will probably be a Fender precision, though I'm a little daunted by the great big necks they seem to have. I assume I'll get used to it - millions before me did.

I have a Hartke LH1000 head and Hydrive 810 cab. Yes, it's a bit much for a beginner but it was an absolute steal and let's not forget that I have two Marshall stacks to contend with... I mean... complement.

Players I dig: Matt Freeman, Geddy Lee, John Entwistle, Fat Mike, Cliff Burton, Eric Wilson.

That ended up being quite long - how terrible self-indulgent of me. Thanks for having me, anyway. Looking forward to picking some brains.

Welcome RexM and no need to apologise!

Plenty of good plectrum players around. (Should I tell you about TimberTones or do you already know? :) )

Better for you doesn't have to be more expensive! You could pick up a decent P clone for £100 (I did) and see how you get on with it for a while before committing to a big purchase. Let us know!

Thanks!🙂

Probably could have googled it myself, couldn't I? But it's always nicer to engage with an actual human if possible.

While they look lovely, the idea of a plectrum being something I wouldn't be ok with losing doesn't really sit well with me, because I *will* lose them!

[quote name='Rexel Matador' timestamp='1479576702' post='3177614']
While they look lovely, the idea of a plectrum being something I wouldn't be ok with losing doesn't really sit well with me, because I *will* lose them!
[/quote]

Understood. I stick to the cheaper ones, and I do lose one now and then, but it's worth it for the pleasure I get from experimenting and playing with them. I'm resisting getting into the fine details of amps and pups - but £5 each to compare the feel and sound of a stubby resin pick to a sharp wood to a heavy stone star (and they do sound different!) is vfm for me.

[quote name='josie' timestamp='1479600992' post='3177823']
Understood. I stick to the cheaper ones, and I do lose one now and then, but it's worth it for the pleasure I get from experimenting and playing with them. I'm resisting getting into the fine details of amps and pups - but £5 each to compare the feel and sound of a stubby resin pick to a sharp wood to a heavy stone star (and they do sound different!) is vfm for me.
[/quote]
You certainly make a good case! It's food for thought, to be sure.