Why become a member? ×

Are all Japan RI bodies the same? / Precision Bodies that will fit a Fender PB70US neck

Dood

I'm doing a bit of investigating! I'm planning a bit of a P Bass project, however I know that sometimes I can be a bit impatient. It would seem logical to just have a bass body made to spec, but I was wondering if the readership knew, for sure, of an off the shelf (possibly finished) body made by a company that wouldn't need faffing with in order to get this neck to perfectly fit.

I know that some Fender neck pockets are slightly different sizes and wanted to not have too much messing around to get a perfect fit for my new neck.

I could scour the internet and hopefully find a PB70 body, but I don't hold out much luck for something that won't cost me silly money even though it would of course fit perfectly!

Looking forward to your thoughts!

Dooooood

Edited by dood

[quote name='Pow_22' timestamp='1479481216' post='3176901']
As a PB70 owner myself if I can help out with any measurements or owt give me a shout
[/quote]

WOW! Thank you :) That would be brilliant! I can measure the neck for the width I suppose, but if it's not too much trouble I'd like to know what the pocket depth is on the PB70 which I assume would be the same across all PB70 models (ie PB70-US etc)

I owned a PB70-US before that I was in a position that sadly it left my flock, but I couldn't afford to buy it back if I tried right now. I miss it! So I have a new neck, time to mate it to a body! I have nearly all the hardware I need here already to get the basss up and running, then I can swap out bits as I go along. The body of course is the bit I don't have!

A quick measure up and my donor neck appears to be 64.2mm which is wider than a standard Fender neck pocket? I understand this is due to it being a reissue neck.

So, another question I have is whether or not other CIJ/MIJ neck pockets are the same size for reissue basses. For example PB62, PB57. Anyone know?

My PB70US neck is 62.9mm at the 20th fret and 60mm between the 15th and 16 frets where it exits the neck pocket. I am not sure about taking the neck off but body thickness minus body depth under the pocket is 15.6mm. hope this helps!

Mine has a slim neck measuring 38.5mm at the nut, spacing between the g and e strings is 30mm.

Edited by pete.young

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1479722866' post='3178655']
My PB70US neck is 62.9mm at the 20th fret and 60mm between the 15th and 16 frets where it exits the neck pocket. I am not sure about taking the neck off but body thickness minus body depth under the pocket is 15.6mm. hope this helps!

Mine has a slim neck measuring 38.5mm at the nut, spacing between the g and e strings is 30mm.
[/quote]

This is very helpful indeed! Thank you!

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1479728788' post='3178733']
You're welcome Dood, if there's anything else you'd like me to measure just let me know.
[/quote]

I think that's the main dimensions I wanted to check - though I wasn't expecting there to be such a difference between two PB70's - I have however had a reply from a company making bodies that know about the 'reissue' width being larger, so it won't be a problem as such. Ideally picking up a PB RI body that is going spare that has already been finished will hopefully mean less of an outlay verses having a body made, sprayed and finished. - Though it throws in some doubt if the neck pockets are quite variable. It could then mean just getting a standard (non-Fender) body and still having work done to make the neck fit.

[quote name='Pow_22' timestamp='1479481216' post='3176901']
As a PB70 owner myself if I can help out with any measurements or owt give me a shout
[/quote]

With regard to the above, I'd be interested to find out the width of the neck pocket on your bass too, thank you!

If you can stand the ghastly colour, the project bass that Karlfer has just posted in the basses for sale column might do you - if the standard pocket is smaller than the 62RI it would be easy enough to find someone to rout out a bigger pocket.

Isn't Andrew Guyton just down the road from you? :-)

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1479811553' post='3179400']
If you can stand the ghastly colour, the project bass that Karlfer has just posted in the basses for sale column might do you - if the standard pocket is smaller than the 62RI it would be easy enough to find someone to rout out a bigger pocket.

Isn't Andrew Guyton just down the road from you? :-)
[/quote]

Thank you once again! I hadn't spotted the project bass - and you know, I actually quite like the colour! For my planned project it'd possibly end up being stripped back for a natural finish, but that said, I like a bit of an eye catching body!

Indeed Andy is just down the road and I've been meaning to pop in and see him for ages! I think adjusting a neck pocket would be as you say a simple task. I suppose this way I can look to save some money as the donor neck ended up caning me with regard to import costs! OUCH! - I did get the neck I was specifically looking for though.

There's a few 'no name' bodies on eBay too, so with regard to getting a body to be worked on, then more options are available. I suppose I just wanted to be able to drop my neck on a ready made body and off I go.. but then, there's that whole 'money I don't have' thing. At least this little project is occupying my mind rather than day to day demons lol.

[quote name='Pow_22' timestamp='1479894951' post='3180042']
I measured the pocket last night and im getting it at 67mm
[/quote]

Wow! That's quote a variation between basses isn't it? - I guess I'm less worried about having to get the exact body if the likelihood is that they vary so much. Kinda bizarre as I assumed that if they were machine made en masse, then they'd be closer in tolerances. Maybe having made in different years and possibly by different factories would account for that.

Looking at the cost of a donor body may mean this little project is shelved until next year now. At least I have the neck I particularly wanted! I think it's unlikely that a matching PB70 body will come up any time soon anyway!