Why become a member? ×

Spliting my Ashdown 810t

0175westwood29

I tried this once with an old traynor 4x10, it pretty much fell to bits after I ran the saw through it (cheap osb board and stapled together without much glue). Whole thing ended up in the bin!

I'm sure this is possible but I'd say you're better off selling unless you're sure it's solid ply construction where you can get some good strong joints with battens, screws etc on the new wood.

Then there's the finishing to consider, which will be hard to do neatly unless you re cover both boxes completely.

You can probably rewire it internally without any issues, but you'll need to check the impedance of the individual drivers to calculate what your options will be for the impedance that will be shown to the amp. Old ampeg 8x10s use 32ohm drivers that are parallel wired to achieve the final impedance IIRC, but your ashdown cab might be using a different wiring scheme and lower impedance drivers to reach the final 4 ohm impedance for the cab. Once you know the impedance for a single driver in your cab, the maths for what options you will have is pretty easy.

Yeah you'll need to change the wiring if it has two inputs or drill another hole if it only has the one but it's possible. No need for a switch, if it's 4ohms it should split into 2 8ohm cabinets easily and if you want to use one amp with the whole cab just use both inputs.

[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1479712835' post='3178566']
I tried this once with an old traynor 4x10, it pretty much fell to bits after I ran the saw through it (cheap osb board and stapled together without much glue). Whole thing ended up in the bin!

I'm sure this is possible but I'd say you're better off selling unless you're sure it's solid ply construction where you can get some good strong joints with battens, screws etc on the new wood.

Then there's the finishing to consider, which will be hard to do neatly unless you re cover both boxes completely.
[/quote]

This. As an inveterate fiddler, I can't resist modifying and "improving" things. I nearly always regret it. destroys any resale value.

All of the above. If like me you are a tinkerer nothing will stop you and we'll be happy to talk you through it. If you are someone who should never be let loose with a hammer then all you will do will be to downvalue your cab at best and the sensible advice would be to sell and buy what you want. How sensible is an 8x10 anyway ;)

[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1479712835' post='3178566']

[/quote]

Not looking to cut it man, looking to split the wiring internally like the ampeg 810

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1479733804' post='3178795']
You can probably rewire it internally without any issues, but you'll need to check the impedance of the individual drivers to calculate what your options will be for the impedance that will be shown to the amp. Old ampeg 8x10s use 32ohm drivers that are parallel wired to achieve the final impedance IIRC, but your ashdown cab might be using a different wiring scheme and lower impedance drivers to reach the final 4 ohm impedance for the cab. Once you know the impedance for a single driver in your cab, the maths for what options you will have is pretty easy.
[/quote]

At least someone got what I meant! Might try pulling a driver at practice in that case and see