Why become a member? ×

Polishing a T**D

addictedtobass

Hiyall.

I do a lot of work away from home and wanted to buy a bass that i could cart from hotel to hotel without having to worry about damaging it. So i saw a cheap and cheerful P Bass copy up for sale and decided to part with £40 to get it. this is my first full length bass as i have always played short scale , so it served a double purpose as i wanted to see how i got along with long scale. the build quality of this instrument is exactly as you would expect from a £40 guitar , but the tone aint too shabby. the one problem i have is the string height , despite adjusting the bridge to as low as it could go they are still very high. it looks to have fairly light guage strings on it , would putting heavier guage on help ? or would putting a shim on the neck be a solution ? or is it that full size basses are just different in string height and i just that i need to man up a bit .
any advice would be apreciated
cheers
bob

[quote name='addictedtobass' timestamp='1479638901' post='3177961']
The neck releif seems bob on it was a bit buzzy up on the 19th fret but that adjusted out. i think a shim it is then. any recommended materials ?
[/quote]
Card is often used and is generally fine, even better though, is a wood veneer or any sort of material that won't compress.

yeah it is. its still high ish on the D and G but not impossibly high. its a £40 bass so i wasnt that fussed if it went tits up or not ,but all things considered its not a bad bass . for the tone alone i am willing to let the more than shoddy build quality issues alone. one thing i will say in favour of this copy is that you could not even squeeze bacteria in the neck cavity, it was that tight that i thought the neck was actually glued as well. its as light as hell and the neck dive is atrocious but its a bash about so its ready to go on its 1000 hotels tour until it dies.