Why become a member? ×

Zoom B3 Problem!

carlwilson6

Hi all,

Recently been having an issue with my Zoom B3.

I play a Fender P into the B3 (usually just into the M-Comp and tube screamer as a standard setting) into my Ashdown Klystron C210-500 combo.

I've been finding that when I play a note to sustain, the signal seems to cut short very quickly and flick in and out quietly once it has hit no volume. With the Ashdown I can obviously see the VU meter and this also drops suddenly and then flicks in and out.

Straight away I obviously turned off the compressor to rule out that my settings weren't terrible and squashing notes straight away, but this didn't help the problem either?

Any help solving this puzzling (and very annoying) mystery would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Carl

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1479720078' post='3178620']
It sounds like a noise gate or level issue. But you're not using a noise gate...are there any threshold related settings that you might need to pump up a bit? Other than that, it might be a dry solder joint somewhere.
[/quote]

I don't think there is any set, possibly! Will check and get back

[quote name='Kitsto' timestamp='1479759466' post='3179082']
I know nothing about the technology but as a Zoom B3 owner I know there is a problem with power supply. I think it's to do with poor earthing and so varies between venues and this may be a cause. Anyway, try using battery power.
[/quote]

I tend to use a usb power plug (like the sort you get with many mobile phones etc) and that seems less noisy than the wall wart supplied. Would that also get around the earth issue you mention too?

[quote name='Kitsto' timestamp='1479759466' post='3179082']
I know nothing about the technology but as a Zoom B3 owner I know there is a problem with power supply. I think it's to do with poor earthing and so varies between venues and this may be a cause. Anyway, try using battery power.
[/quote] I heard this too a replacement PSU can be bought on ebay for 9 pounds it is not a genuine Zoom part though but does the job well I only know this as my mate had this issue and bought one, I bought a non Zoom PSU from the same place for my B1XON and it works a treat I think the B3 needs 500ma to work as it should

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1479851384' post='3179835']
i have a Zoom B9.1ut that has switchable noise suppression - ZNR (Zoom Noise Reduction) - I would think the B3 has the same thing. Check to see if ZNR is enabled?

[/quote]

Nope. Th b3 would need the suppressor in one of its 3 positions. Not hidden away somewhere. Which, in my opinion, is a shame as I'd like to run it on all the time but takes up a third of your slots!

I loved my b9 by the way... it was a beast!!