Why become a member? ×

Cort GB74 - active "super Jazz" MM/J - very light *** SOLD ***
£250

mcnach

Cort GB74, made in the same factory where the Lakland Skyline range is made and bearing certain resemblance to the 44-02 in terms of functionality and even looks to some degree.

I got this bass a few years ago and it's served me well. It's played a few gigs with me and it has a few small marks of being used as a consequence, but it has not been mistreated or have any real damage etc. Check the pictures.

It's a VERY LIGHT bass, around 7.4 lbs.

The body is ash, in satin finish, and it's probably the lightest bass I've ever owned. Maple neck with maple fingerboard, bound, and pearl-like block markers. The neck is slim, like a Jazz bass. Low action, very comfortable.

It has Hipshot licensed lightweight tuners, a locking Neutrik jack socket (it locks any standard instrument cable in place), and a 2-band EQ preamp. It uses a 9V battery accessible from the back.

It has two pickups. A MM Stingray style pickup at the bridge and a Jazz bass style at the neck position. A blend control allows you to select either pickup, or any mix of both.

It has two switches. Switch one engages a tone preset that boosts bass a bit and turns mids down a bit. It is sometimes called a 'slap switch'. The other is a 3-way switch that selects the wiring for the bridge humbucker, which I *believe* does this:
- both coils in parallel (like on a Stingray)
- both coils in series, for a fatter and more aggressive sound
- one coil only, for a more standard Jazz-bass type of sound

Very versatile and comfortable bass. Despite its low weight it balances very well and has no neck dive.

£250 (plus postage if we can't find a way to do the transaction in person)

I'm not looking for trades really, just cash. But there are a couple of things that might tempt me as part trade: Markbass LMIII head, Barefaced Retro Two10 (4 ohm). As usual in this forum, any trade offers please PM directly as if you post here the message will be removed by the mods.

Edited by mcnach

• 3 weeks later...

I bought one of these new a few months ago after trying one in the shop , i had no intention of buying another bass as i have to many but the weight ,playability , super fast neck and versatility sold me, and i hope to have soon recouped the money due to less visits to the chiropractor ..this is my number one gigging bass at the moment ...someone is in for a treat !

[quote name='timhiggins' timestamp='1481223125' post='3190795'] I bought one of these new a few months ago after trying one in the shop , i had no intention of buying another bass as i have to many but the weight ,playability , super fast neck and versatility sold me, and i hope to have soon recouped the money due to less visits to the chiropractor ..this is my number one gigging bass at the moment ...someone is in for a treat ! [/quote]

It is a pretty good bass. Cort may not be mentioned in the same breath as your Fender/Ibanez/etc but they make instruments just as good and often better.
The GB74 is very versatile but I'm not a fan of too many options in one bass. If I have switches I feel compelled to use them all :lol: I'm culling my 'thin neck' herd of basses as I just don't get along with Jazz bass style necks and prefer the wider/chunkier Precision/Stingray... otherwise I'd keep it. Very comfy body and very light... I've ordered a bass from Maruszczyk which should be not quite as light but still light, and will give me my ideal neck and a Jazz type sound, and I'll need no more twin pickup basses! :)

• 1 month later...