Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVP CL / tube preamp - Heat

Jazzjames

Hi everyone,

How warm shound an all tube preamp get during the course of a gig? I finished a gig this evening and I noticed my new setup was a little warm. Not hot, but for sure warm around the front where the control face is, and on the sides, where I can touch it through the big holes in the side of the case.

The power amp was also very slightly warm but not like the ampeg.

I've been using class D heads for a long time and my Aguilar doesn't get warm like this, so I just want to check I'm not cooking the gear!

James

Yup mine does the exact same - I bought a little fan from amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RAM-150mm-6-inch-Clip--Transformer/dp/B00KCL33GA/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1479926824&sr=8-10&keywords=ram+air+fan

I point it into the rear of the rack case to provide good air circulation - p[lus this way its at the back and doesnt make the rig untidy to look at. Well worth the money!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I've played a few gigs with this setup now, it doesn't get above warm, so I'm gonna leave it as it is. Perhaps in the summer I'll get a fan to get the air moving, but right now it gets up to a warm temperature and then stays there.

And it sounds mega. So much strength to the sound.