Why become a member? ×

Jazz Bass issue

cornishbassman

I have a 1992 MIM Jazz which I lent out for a while, I got it back and the action was shocking, so I got out my trusty trust rod wrench to sort the neck out, when I found the nut had been stripped, it loosens but doesn't tighten, I then decided to replace the barrel, the question I have is is this a case of just loosening until the barrel detaches and pops out or is there something else I need to do? TIA

So did whomever borrowed it strip it?
If I loaned a bass out and someone messed about with it and didn't use the right key which is normally the cause, I would go ape sh*t!

Anyhow get a flat headed screw driver and see if you can turn the nut and see if it will come off. Or if you can tighten it via flathead screwdriver. I suppose you could just leave it like that if it won't come out, so long as you can tighten it with said screwdriver to get correct relief of course.

And lastly can anyone borrow me a jazz bass? Lol

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1479758436' post='3179071']
So did whomever borrowed it strip it?
If I loaned a bass out and someone messed about with it and didn't use the right key which is normally the cause, I would go ape sh*t!

Anyhow get a flat headed screw driver and see if you can turn the nut and see if it will come off. Or if you can tighten it via flathead screwdriver. I suppose you could just leave it like that if it won't come out, so long as you can tighten it with said screwdriver to get correct relief of course.

And lastly can anyone borrow me a jazz bass? Lol
[/quote]

Haha thanks for that, I came to a similar conclusion, managed to get it right in the end, he may not have stripped it, I've never had to play with it before so it may have always been like that, might treat it to a new neck at some point, always fancied maple.

• 2 weeks later...