Why become a member? ×

Warwick streamer advice please

spencer.b

I have a Streamer Stage 1 (aka SS1) which means that it is of neck-through construction (that's the "Stage" bit) and has a PJ pickup configuration (that's the "1"). The standard Streamer (ie. NOT the Streamer Stage) has a bolt-on neck and the SS2 has a JJ pickup configuration (and different body wood?). I think that's right, no doubt someone will correct me if I've got anything wrong.

Anyway, here are some pics of my SS1, it's a great bass - very comfortable and easy to play:

Edited by darkandrew

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1479843331' post='3179753']
You've got everything from Rockbass to full blown Custom Shop and everything between; to describe them all is a tome. It would be easier if you had an idea of budget then you'd get a more concise/clear answer. ;)
[/quote]

John is the man :)

I asked a similar question few weeks ago. After lurking on this forum for number of years I knew there would be only one man who could explain the differences in older Streamer stage 1s. Scroll down and you will find John's reply to me about old Stage 1.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/294404-warwick-battery-cover/"]http://basschat.co.u...-battery-cover/[/url]

I have been playing Warwick Streamer Stage 2 for over a year now and that is a neck through model with J pickups. Quite different from Stage 1 as you can read. I think the LX models are bolt-on and then you have the Rockbass line. Warwick have been changing where they manufacture their different basses (German, Korea etc) so the naming is starting to blur hence the reason for asking what is your budget and what you intend to use it for. I think the experienced streamer players could then start to chip in and offer advice.

I personally love my Stage 2 and I think it really complements my playing. But it might not be the bass/tone/style you are after. Hope that helps

. Warwick have been changing where they manufacture their different basses (German, Korea etc) so the naming is starting to blur

this is what I'm a bit confused about , it seems I can pick up a 2nd hand german made streamer lx for the same sort of price ( £700 to £900) as a korean or chinese made one and why are lx's so much cheaper than stage 1 and 2s, is the only difference the bolt on neck ?

I've got a SS1 and an LX. Both are German made. They both are PJs and the feeling is similar except the LX is fretless. I would value them both the same, but Warwick are making things confusing by moving their production around and re-using product names or is that just me?

I gave a bit of a run down of the current manufacturing options on a general discussion on warwicks last week

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/295253-wheres-all-the-warwicks/page__st__60 3rd page...but that's the new options, and buying second hand (which I'd definitely recommend - as has been noted, prices for the old second hand German made ones are comparable to new Rockbasses) would take a whole lot longer...specs have changed, necks have changed, country of manufacture has changed...

My own preference is for a neck through (so stage 1 or 2) rather than a bolt on (LX) but watch the neck width as some come as standard with broadnecks...but may have a slimmer one as an option.

I'd add that I like the JazzMan and $$ options with the coil-tappable humbuckers - very aggressive sounding when added to the Warwick growl

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1479938362' post='3180491']
Hi spencer.b,
Any particular reason you want a Streamer? I only ask because the original Streamer shape is the Spector NS - nicked by Warwick in the '80's. They do tons of models in that shape and IMO are better value.
[/quote]
What an odd post. Hang on whilst I drop into every other manufacturer thread in the forum and recommend people go buy a Fender...

• Haha 1

Any particular reason you want a Streamer? I only ask because the original Streamer shape is the Spector NS - nicked by Warwick in the '80's. They do tons of models in that shape and IMO are [i][b]better value[/b][/i].
[/quote]

No point turning anything into a Warwick/Spector bunfight because what you say is fact... other than value! :) A proper German made 80's - 90's Streamer will be cheaper than a comparable USA NS bass.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1479938871' post='3180496']
What an odd post. Hang on whilst I drop into every other manufacturer thread in the forum and recommend people go buy a Fender...
[/quote] Hey people seem to be doing that more and more without you encouraging them!
[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1479938959' post='3180498']
No point turning anything into a Warwick/Spector bunfight because what you say is fact... other than value! :) A proper German made 80's - 90's Streamer will be cheaper than a comparable USA NS bass.
[/quote] I think both of mine cost less than a comparable USA NS bass.
Plus the screws and truss rod is metric. Did my head in for a while when I had a US built bass and all the rest were German or Japanese!

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1479938871' post='3180496']

[/quote]

Well, Leo did get it right you know.

Please excuse me while I change the bridge, pickup and shim the neck on mine... :P

Hi spencer.b,
Any particular reason you want a Streamer? I only ask because the original Streamer shape is the Spector NS - nicked by Warwick in the '80's. They do tons of models in that shape and IMO are better value.
[/quote]

Hi spencer.b,
Any particular reason you want a Streamer? I only ask because the original Streamer shape is the Spector NS - nicked by Warwick in the '80's. They do tons of
models in that shape and IMO are better value.
[/quote]
I'm thinking of a streamer cos I love p pickups and mainly cos I saw a few german made lx models on here and was really suprised how cheap they were .
I'm am old school fender with flats kinda guy but sometimes I need a modern tone and I've always fancied a warwick and when I saw a few on here I thought I could afford one of these but is it actually a proper warwick? , hence the post

Edited by spencer.b

[quote name='spencer.b' timestamp='1479944443' post='3180566']

I'm thinking of a streamer cos I love p pickups and mainly cos I saw a few german made lx models on here and was really suprised how cheap they were .
I'm am old school fender with flats kinda guy but sometimes I need a modern tone and I've always fancied a warwick and when I saw a few on here I thought I could afford one of these but is it actually a proper warwick? , hence the post
[/quote]

All German made Warwicks are 'proper'. personally I have a heavy preference for the NT models rather than the BO, but that really is just personal preference. What's your budget?

[quote name='spencer.b' timestamp='1479944443' post='3180566']
[/quote]Fair enough, I just thought I'd widen your options.

[quote name='12stringbassist' timestamp='1480084594' post='3181563']
Warwick have actually licensed the Steamer shape from Spector.

My Streamer. The best sounding bass I own.

[url="http://www.warwick.de/en/Warwick---Basses-Made-in-Germany--Streamer--Streamer-CT--4-5-6-string--Features.html"]http://www.warwick.d...--Features.html[/url]
[/quote]

Awesome. Much as I would love one, how is it for scratching?! Id be terrified of using it!

I am really careful with it. A drummer I used to play with put a tiny ding in it and I nearly died.
Fortunately, it's not where you can see it very easily.
With help I managed to cover it with a silver sticker and you can't find it.

It IS a fingerprint magnet.

Edited by 12stringbassist

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1479843035' post='3179752']
I have a Streamer Stage 1 (aka SS1) which means that it is of neck-through construction (that's the "Stage" bit) and has a PJ pickup configuration (that's the "1"). The standard Streamer (ie. NOT the Streamer Stage) has a bolt-on neck and the SS2 has a JJ pickup configuration (and different body wood?). I think that's right, no doubt someone will correct me if I've got anything wrong.

Anyway, here are some pics of my SS1, it's a great bass - very comfortable and easy to play:
[/quote]

Actually there are German built Warwick Streamer Basses that have neck thru construction and not labelled Stage 1 or Stage 2. I have 2 of them so they cant be that uncommon.

[quote name='dyerseve' timestamp='1480684388' post='3186389']

Actually there are German built Warwick Streamer Basses that have neck thru construction and not labelled Stage 1 or Stage 2. I have 2 of them so they cant be that uncommon.
[/quote]

And just when I thought I was getting a grip on the Streamer, Stage 1, Stage 2, Music Man Sterling, Sterling by Music Man, etc, thing!

[quote name='dyerseve' timestamp='1480684388' post='3186389']

[/quote] my guess is they are early ones