Why become a member? ×

Neck movement - 3 bolt Fender neck

LewisK1975

Hey all,

I've got a YOB (1975) Jazz which is all good and nice and light too, surprisingly.

Only thing is the 3 bolt neck - does have a tendency to move a little sideways now and again.

What's the preferred method for getting it to stay in place?

I won't be converting to a 4-bolt or anything like that, but I've read about putting sand/glass paper in the neck pocket as a possible solution to this?

Any thoughts?

Ta Muchly!

The reason the neck moves sideways is two fold, Firstly the routing templates for making the neck pockets were wearing out meaning that they were routed over-size. Secondly Fender didn't have required engineering tolerances to make the micro-tilt neck adjustment work properly. If the plate that the micro-tilt screw acts agains hasn't been fitted perfectly flat, then the screw will act sideways as well as up causing the neck to shift in the over-size pocket.

There are a couple things that you can try. It might be possible to reseat the plate so that it is perfectly level with the flat part of the neck heel, but it will need to be absolutely level. Alternatively you can wind back the micro-tilt screw so that it doesn't have any effect, and use a shim instead to get the required neck tilt angle.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1479835795' post='3179686']
Threaded inserts would solve the problem so it'll never move...
[/quote]

That was my first thought...

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1479835795' post='3179686']
however, if you want to do that mod to a 70s Fender is one you'd have to think carefully about.
[/quote]

That was my second :unsure:

Edited by paul_5

As suggested by BigRedX wind the micro tilt in and shim with something with a bit of friction e.g. thin cork. In addition you could shim the side of the neck into the pocket, aluminum foil, ptfe sheet, wood veneer. I seem to remember this being a fairly standard procedure in the late 70s early 80s. My 1977 4 bolt P bass was sufficiently misaligned that I wrote to Fender UK - I got a pleasant reply and manual, problem sorted.