Why become a member? ×

Gig Bag Recommend

BassBunny

I've decided that carting basses around in hard cases is a pain, so am looking for a "take the bass of the day" Gig Bag. I do tend to rotate my hoard depending on the Gig so it will just be carrying whatever I am using that Gig.
All my basses are suitably protected at home and I find hard cases seem to move around a lot when travelling to a Gig. I normally take the K/B player and sometimes guitarist with me so usually the bass is perched on top of speakers/amps etc. and tends to slide around a bit..
I have got a couple already but don't consider them up to the job of protecting either of my ACG's or Carvin in transit.
I am looking for something that:[list]
[*]Is light
[*]Well Made
[*]Protects well
[*]Not too bulky
[*]A couple of pockets for Strap/Tuner/Lead. Not looking at carrying an Amp in it.
[/list]

I am drawn to the Mono Bass Sleeve as it looks to fit all requirements but wonder if the BassChat massive has any better ideas.

If you have a trawl through the site you'll find lots of similar threads. Mono Sleeve, Mono Vertigo, Protec Contego, Protection Racket, Gator ProGo all get lots of love, as do others. It really comes down to what you like, and which aspects of a gig bag are most important to you personally.

As for me, I like the Mono Vertigo the best of all the bags I've used.

Are you going to need to carry it son your back for any distance?

If so don't buy without trying it first. Not all of them are comfortable to for everyone wear.

If not, then almost anything with a decent amount of padding will do. However check the specifications first. A lot of the semi-rigid cases like the Mono ones are only marginally smaller and lighter than a Hiscox case.

Edited by BigRedX

Neither are particularly small but my recommendations would be Mono M80 or Protection Racket 7051. They`re much easier on the carrying hand than a hardcase and you can store some items in them - more in the PR7051 than the M80. I`ve not had the Mono Vertigo but only read good things about them.

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1479840989' post='3179730']
Cripes! Just had a look at some of the ones mentioned above and they seem amazingly expensive - even compared to hard cases.
[/quote]

Check out the TGI Extreme - I paid £37 from Bassgear, but I'm not sure they do them now they are online only.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1479834606' post='3179676']
Are you going to need to carry it on your back for any distance?
A lot of the semi-rigid cases like the Mono ones are only marginally smaller and lighter than a Hiscox case.
[/quote]
Unlikely going to carry any distance except for 1 Gig a year that I use Manchester's Metrolink to get to. I think this is why the Mono Bass Sleeve is so actractive as it is definately smaller/thinner/lighter that an ABS case, and this what I am after

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1479840989' post='3179730']
Cripes! Just had a look at some of the ones mentioned above and they seem amazingly expensive - even compared to hard cases.
[/quote]
They aren't cheap, that's for sure but it would cost about £2K to replace either of my ACG's.

Edited by BassBunny

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1479844334' post='3179760']
Unlikely going to carry any distance except for 1 Gig a year that I use Manchester's Metrolink to get to. I think this is why the Mono Bass Sleeve is so actractive as it is definately smaller/thinner/lighter that an ABS case, and this what I am after
[/quote]

I have a Mono M80. From a protection PoV it's great and you can squeeze into spaces in cars where a hard case wouldn't have enough give in it to fit. Unfortunately as a gig bag I find it very uncomfortable to wear on my back for any length of time, as the straps are too close together at the top and because of how they are mounted in relation to the height of the case and the fact that I'm only 5'6" means that the lower part of the case hits the back of my thighs on every step as I walk. However other Basschatters with the same case don't seem to have any problems with it, hence my recommendation to try before you buy.

I picked the M80, because at the time it offered a good amount of protection, but was smaller and lighter than the rest of semi-rigid competition. I should also point out that after 5 years of less than once a week use mine is starting to wear out. The exterior is looking a bit shabby and the main zip has become damaged at the bottom, which means I can no longer fully open the case.

If I was buying another gig bag without being able to check it out first I'd settle for a standard well padded bag at around the £30-40 mark. The Ritter one I had previously was far more comfortable to wear, and although it only lasted 3 years of weekly use before it was too worn to trust it to protect the bass inside, to me it would make more financial sense than an expensive semi-rigid case.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1479897170' post='3180061']
I have a Mono M80. From a protection PoV it's great and you can squeeze into spaces in cars where a hard case wouldn't have enough give in it to fit. Unfortunately as a gig bag I find it very uncomfortable to wear on my back for any length of time, as the straps are too close together at the top and because of how they are mounted in relation to the height of the case and the fact that I'm only 5'6" means that the lower part of the case hits the back of my thighs on every step as I walk. However other Basschatters with the same case don't seem to have any problems with it, hence my recommendation to try before you buy.

I picked the M80, because at the time it offered a good amount of protection, but was smaller and lighter than the rest of semi-rigid competition. I should also point out that after 5 years of less than once a week use mine is starting to wear out. The exterior is looking a bit shabby and the main zip has become damaged at the bottom, which means I can no longer fully open the case.

If I was buying another gig bag without being able to check it out first I'd settle for a standard well padded bag at around the £30-40 mark. The Ritter one I had previously was far more comfortable to wear, and although it only lasted 3 years of weekly use before it was too worn to trust it to protect the bass inside, to me it would make more financial sense than an expensive semi-rigid case.
[/quote]

The Fusion bags have a different strap set up, I'm also 5' 6" and I don't have any issues with wearing mine at all.
I can't comment on how long it'll last as I only really play at home for the moment, so they've not exactly been battered, but it does sound to me that the Mono bags might not be all that hard wearing, I've a few others in very shabby condition over the years to.

Gator do a semi rigid bag these days, there's the Gruv Gear one, can't recall the name and there's always the Protec Contego too.

Plenty of choice out there.
If you're ever in South London, you're more than welcome to check my bags out (that sounds weird, but you know what I mean).

Eude

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1479842018' post='3179741']
I've just got one of these

[url="https://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_e_bass_gigbag_premium.htm?sid=ddc5d687ba9db40280eee90a7eca25ae"]https://www.thomann....0eee90a7eca25ae[/url]

Excellent quality, and an absolute steal.
[/quote]

Agree. Great gigbag for the money, however I plan to upgrade the back straps somehow

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1479842018' post='3179741']
I've just got one of these

[url="https://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_e_bass_gigbag_premium.htm?sid=ddc5d687ba9db40280eee90a7eca25ae"]https://www.thomann....0eee90a7eca25ae[/url]

Excellent quality, and an absolute steal.
[/quote]

I bought one of these several months back now, on FuNkShUi's recommendation. Very reasonably priced, well made and quite well padded

Also, have you considered one of those semi-hard cases? Haven't got one myself, but I may well sell one of my hard cases & get one

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1479841913' post='3179740']

Check out the TGI Extreme - I paid £37 from Bassgear, but I'm not sure they do them now they are online only.
[/quote]

Out of stock but we can get them quickly. Best case quality we could for a decent 'everyday' bag.

Not as tough as a Mono and doesn't have the amazing Mono warranty but a fraction of the price.

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1479907287' post='3180174']
I have a Protec Contego and struggle to think of any way to improve it.
[/quote]

That's a pretty grand endorsement right there!
They're certainly one of the better priced options too, I think the come in about £100, whereas the Fusion I mentioned and the Mono are near £150.

Eude

Thanks for all the comments guys. Really appreciated.
I don't really want a semi-rigid bag. The basses are all in either SKB or Hiscox cases at home and I do have a Tribal Planet semi - rigid jobie but it is deeper than any of my hard cases.
If my stuff was getting carted around in a Van, or the hold of a plane, I have that covered with the hard cases. Hard cases are a pain to get a bass out of if you are playing a pub with little space.
The reason I was initially attracted to the Mono Bass Sleeve is it is quite thin and the top loading is a real bonus. Easy to get a bass in and out of in a confined space and easy to store away when playing.
So I am after something along those lines and just wanted to see if there were any suitable alternatives.
The Protec Contego doesn't look that deep and looks like it might be a contender. Can't find the external depth anywhere on t'internet.

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1479897527' post='3180064']
The Fusion bags have a different strap set up, I'm also 5' 6" and I don't have any issues with wearing mine at all.
I can't comment on how long it'll last as I only really play at home for the moment, so they've not exactly been battered, but it does sound to me that the Mono bags might not be all that hard wearing, I've a few others in very shabby condition over the years to.

Gator do a semi rigid bag these days, there's the Gruv Gear one, can't recall the name and there's always the Protec Contego too.

Plenty of choice out there.
If you're ever in South London, you're more than welcome to check my bags out (that sounds weird, but you know what I mean).

Eude
[/quote]
Are they Fusion F1's you have Eude?
From memory these are pretty deep almost the same as a hard case. Having checked, they have been discontinued and Fusion are selling remaining stock at a discount.

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1479910617' post='3180214']
Are they Fusion F1's you have Eude?
From memory these are pretty deep almost the same as a hard case. Having checked, they have been discontinued and Fusion are selling remaining stock at a discount.
[/quote]

I've got a couple of F1s and an Urban one, albeit a guitar sized one for my shortscale headless. The are thick though.
If the Mono Sleeve, or something equally slim is what you're looking at, the Fusion ones are going to be way too thick.
Reunion Blues have a more recent cheaper bag, the RBX >> http://reunionblues.com/product/229/rbx-bass-guitar-bag - I think they're under £100.

Another thought, I have a custom leather bag made by Probag that I got a few years ago >> http://www.probagg.com/
It's a lovely bit of kit, very thick rugged leather with excellent padding, pretty slim too. The straps are very well laid out and extremely comfy.
They're custom made, so you could ask for one without the front pocket and you'd have something very slim and protective.

I'm not sure how they work out price wise these days, much cheaper than the Harvest ones I'd bet though (mine was $135 including postage back in the day!), and being able to tweak the spec to fit your needs I'm sure would be useful.
I can take some pics of it and do some measurments if you want.

Cheers,
Ewan

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1479910976' post='3180221']
[url="https://www.thomann.de/gb/protec_contego_e_bass_case.htm?ref=search_prv_7"]https://www.thomann....ef=search_prv_7[/url]
[/quote]
Cheers Owen.

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1479910976' post='3180220']

I can take some pics of it and do some measurments if you want.

Cheers,
Ewan
[/quote]

That would be great Ewan. Much appreciated.

I upgraded from a typical cheapo gig bag to a Mono Bass Sleeve and I'm very happy with it overall. I was surprised at how substantial it is; the padding is really thick and it is quite a bit taller and wider than my old one. I find it pretty comfortable, typically walking 2 or 3 miles with it when I use it.

The carrying handle is on the wrong side for right handed carrying, and it could do with some protection on the base, although it does have adjustable internal padding to protect the strap pin. The big flap over the pocket is a bit of unnecessary styling.

The pocket is huge and is the reason I chose it, as I often need to carry a laptop and/or a few pedals.