Why become a member? ×

Basschat at the LONDON BASS GUITAR SHOW 2017

seashell

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1488892280' post='3252677']
Genuinely surprised at this - we made a massive effort to engage with anyone who even made eye contact, so much so I was fully shattered after each day. Did you come over to the stand and say hello? Sorry if I/we missed you
[/quote]
Yes, I dropped by 3 times and had a quick word, but didn't feel particularly engaged.
First time one person said "We're just setting up" and then carried on speaking to one of the others, so I wandered off (it was at least 10:30, maybe 11 on the Saturday).
Next I mentioned I'd started the "Is anybody getting bored of "reliced" instruments?" and one of the people said "Which one - we have lots of them?" and that was that (it's now at 190 posts).
The 3rd time I said "It's loud here!" and someone said they had been giving earplugs out on the way in and that was about it.
So others may have chatted and so-on, but that's how it was for me - no real conversation.

[quote name='prowla' timestamp='1488911826' post='3252894']
Yes, I dropped by 3 times and had a quick word, but didn't feel particularly engaged.
First time one person said "We're just setting up" and then carried on speaking to one of the others, so I wandered off (it was at least 10:30, maybe 11 on the Saturday).
Next I mentioned I'd started the "Is anybody getting bored of "reliced" instruments?" and one of the people said "Which one - we have lots of them?" and that was that (it's now at 190 posts).
The 3rd time I said "It's loud here!" and someone said they had been giving earplugs out on the way in and that was about it.
So others may have chatted and so-on, but that's how it was for me - no real conversation.
[/quote]

OK, well you did mention relics...

[quote name='MrCrane' timestamp='1488892615' post='3252681']
Cleverson? Yeah, a real beast.
[/quote]

That's the guy! Regarding the tunes I was talking to Geoff Chalmers last night who explained that one of the riffs was something Scott had heard Evan Marien play while he was recording a SBL video and the other one he can't remember who wrote it but had come across it on YouTube. I'm really looking forward to watching the footage from the masterclass.

[quote name='deepbass5' timestamp='1488910297' post='3252883'] Nice to see so many European manufacturers attending this year Can we get the Rheingold Boys to do a spot next time https://youtu.be/1o6XKBSjgwI https://youtu.be/VawvBE8zaD4 [/quote]

Yeah I stood next to them for two days and while I'm not totally sold on their thing, I have to admit that they were damn fine players. Had a long chat to Mischa and Christopher and they were really great guys.

[/quote]

It's a pity that I wasn't there, as most of the BC team are a combination of inept and socially awkward. You have to understand that most of them don't get out much and interaction with human beings in meat-space is quite a daunting experience for them. TBH, I'm surprised Ped was even allowed out in public under the terms of his order.
I'm one of the few on the team that can hold a conversation without tripping over myself at the same time, so maybe you'll get along to one of the Bashes in the South this year and you'll realise we're not all 'special'. I'm sure we'll find some common ground over Fakers and Relics :)

I'll even wear my special suit for meeting BC members in public..

I had a chat with ped and found he strung sentences together with aplomb. ;)

We had something similar in our car club. Someone came along to a meeting, didn't get the response they were expecting and they drove off and left feedback on the forum. We turned it around and now he's one of the more vocal and welcoming members of the club.

Billy Apple - you auditioning to be the next [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=769qEO6_Ang"]MONONEON[/url]?

[quote name='MisterT' timestamp='1488973637' post='3253343']
Billy Apple - you auditioning to be the next [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=769qEO6_Ang"]MONONEON[/url]?
[/quote]

I'd like to say yes, but the truth is I was removing all the insulation in my loft that was infested with rats!

Posts about half the same quantity from last year which was down on the year before.

I didn't recognise many of the brands or guests from this year's event - is that the problem?

Seems like the years of Ibanez and Gary Wills together with Status and Mark King are behind us?

I didn't go this year so I don't know - what do you think?

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1489258093' post='3255583']
I didn't recognise many of the brands or guests from this year's event - is that the problem?
[/quote]

Really?

David Ellefson of up-and-coming metal band Megadeth.
Glen Matlock of near-unknown Sex Pistols (and many others after them)
Andy Rourke of - who they? - The Smiths.
Stu Hamm of Joe Satriani and Steve Vai bands.
Etc.

Shuker.
Spector.
Markbass.
Musicman.
Barefaced.
Vanderkley.
ACG
Cort.
Etc.

Scott Devine.
Chris May of Overwater.
Geoff Chalmers.
Steve Lawson.
Etc.

:rolleyes:

I was pleased with the master classes I saw. I have no interest in megadeath but David Ellefson was superb, he seemed a really nice guy and was interesting.
I'll defo go next year because the masterclasses were more interesting than the gear. The gear is interesting, of course, but it's lovely to watch pro players saying all the things that I already thought and know. It proves either, I'm not mad or we're all barking!!!

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1489310767' post='3255840']
I was pleased with the master classes I saw. I have no interest in megadeath but David Ellefson was superb, he seemed a really nice guy and was interesting.
I'll defo go next year because the masterclasses were more interesting than the gear. The gear is interesting, of course, but it's lovely to watch pro players saying all the things that I already thought and know. It proves either, I'm not mad or we're all barking!!!
[/quote]

Yes, this is why I go too. It's interesting to see how much in common all these great players have, whatever the genre they are generally known for. Last year, Robert Trujillo playing with Mark King was a real eye opener!

I stopped by the BC booth twice and had a good chat both times.
I think part of the issue was that it was in the main hall.....and the main hall was LOUD.
Perhaps it would have been better having the BC booth a bit closer to the entrance?!

Si

As good as the live performances and masterclasses were, and as beautiful as some of the gear was, the highlight of the show was walking past Steve Lawson playing hidey with your little one... Not sure which one of them found it more amusing!

[quote name='NickD' timestamp='1489406759' post='3256593']
As good as the live performances and masterclasses were, and as beautiful as some of the gear was, the highlight of the show was walking past Steve Lawson playing hidey with your little one... Not sure which one of them found it more amusing!
[/quote]

Haha, yeah Steve was a big hit with Finn (my 11month old son for those wondering).

Si

[/quote]

I remember you!! :lol:

When we were setting up things were a mix of stressful / hilarious :lol: there's some pics I'll have to dig out of that :D
It was also me you mentioned the relic'd instruments thread too (I've not looked at it!)
3rd time I don't think was me but if it was loud and the last day my voice was shot by then :lol: