Why become a member? ×

Nick Seymour / Crowded House appreciation thread

wateroftyne

• 7 months later...

Thread form the dead!

Funnily enough listening to CH this morning after listening to Neil Finn's new single. Own a couple of albums (woodface and together alone) but never appreciated what a great player Nick was. Loving his basslines.

[quote name='IainS' timestamp='1480020790' post='3181149']
Listening to Woodface right now. It's so good. What did he play? Was it a Spector?
[/quote]
Ive mostly seen him with a Fender - sometimes they play Sherwood Pines in Nottinghamshire. He is totally underrated. Very tasteful.

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1502439686' post='3351389']

Ive mostly seen him with a Fender - sometimes they play Sherwood Pines in Nottinghamshire. He is totally underrated. Very tasteful.
[/quote]

Nick played Warwicks for a long time. On the most recent CH dates he was playing a Gibson Midtown.

Edited by PaulGibsonBass

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1483256771' post='3205643']
I was expecting all the replies would be from Aussies, so glad they are appreciated over your side of the pond too !

Neil Finn, like all great New Zealand artists, we claim as our own :)

Nick is a great bassist, knows when to play sparsly when it's needed too.
[/quote]

I've never yet heard a track by Crowded House that I didn't like.

I remember being in Ireland in the middle of the eighties when Aussie music was introduced to us on TV and Radio for the first time. It featured heavily in the UK and Ireland for a while. I forget what became the next new sensation but I've always retained a fondness for the earthy rhythms of Aussie rock in general.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1502479839' post='3351802']

I've never yet heard a track by Crowded House that I didn't like.

I remember being in Ireland in the middle of the eighties when Aussie music was introduced to us on TV and Radio for the first time. It featured heavily in the UK and Ireland for a while. I forget what became the next new sensation but I've always retained a fondness for the earthy rhythms of Aussie rock in general.
[/quote]

Beautifully written, timeless songs. I love Crowded House and I think Neil Finn is a genius. My favourite album of theirs is 'Together Alone, their masterpiece I reckon.

[quote name='IainS' timestamp='1480020790' post='3181149']
Listening to Woodface right now. It's so good. What did he play? Was it a Spector?
[/quote]

Yep, he had a couple of US Spector NS2's. He was playing one when I saw him a few years back.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=crowded+house+live+1991&&view=detail&mid=AF00BA58BF04CFA3C010AF00BA58BF04CFA3C010&FORM=VRDGAR
This is '91 with his red NS-2.
http://www.audioculture.co.nz/content/images/7254/wysiwyg_full_ys25.jpg
And in the studio with Mark Hart who didn't join the band until '93.

This thread is new to me but NS continues to inspire me, amongst my other more well known bass influences.
Anyone who bought the now-rare Trace Elliot 15th Anniversary CD 'Also Available in Green' will know the song Am I Asleep, which is a song written, played and sung by him. Melodic bass playing and a lovely voice.
I think he used different basses on Woodface, but the Spector gave the distinctive punchy tone on Whispers and Moans.
I saw them in Dublin and he was still using a Geddy Lee Jazz Bass