Why become a member? ×

Nick Seymour / Crowded House appreciation thread

wateroftyne

Hey gang

I appreciate this might be a lonely thread, but I think it's about time we had some BC love for Crowded House and their bass man Nick Seymour.

IMO, a marvellous band, and Nick's likes are tasteful and inventive. Never seen 'em live (yet), which is my loss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD5rCE3umf8

Love Crowded House. Musicians at the top of their game. I saw them a load of times in the nineties and they never failed to deliver. They'd often go off into lovely little improvisations, which sounded better than most bands' carefully considered compositions. Nick Seymour is a cruelly underrated player and a great visual artist, too.

Couldn't agree more. After listening to and playing nothing but metal in the late eighties and early nineties I was amazed to discover tasteful melodies and songwriting via Crowded House. Love them. Think I might stick one of their CDs on when I get home...

I'm a massive Crowded House fan. One of my favourite bands, and Neil Finn is one of tbe handful of songwriters I really love and respect. One of the best live bands I've ever seen too (1993 on the Together Alone tour in Birmingham). The fact that they had such a tasteful, melodic bass player in Nick Seymour was an added bonus. I've really been enjoying the demos and outtakes on the recently released deluxe edition albums.

Edited by PaulGibsonBass

I do love a tasteful bass player! I'm not a huge fan of Crowded House, but the John Deacon style of serving the song is one that I very much gravitate towards. Of course it helps if the material is top drawer to start with and the other musicians appreciate the space in the arrangement... B)

amazing songwriters, and a cracking band. The image of their farewell gig, and performing "don't dream it's over on the Sydney opera house steps is something I'll
Never forget.
I can't say I've ever studied the bass lines, but to be fair, I think there a a huge amount of bass players who fly under the radar!

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1480003331' post='3180945']
I do love a tasteful bass player! I'm not a huge fan of Crowded House, but the John Deacon style of serving the song is one that I very much gravitate towards. Of course it helps if the material is top drawer to start with and the other musicians appreciate the space in the arrangement... B)
[/quote]

This pretty much sums up my thinking. Some crowded house I can take or leave. As Conan said though very tasteful playing. Some of his bass line are beautiful without being overbearing or overly flashy.

Later on will have a listen I think.