Why become a member? ×

Refreshing my new P Bass.

PawelG

Good evening,

I have acquired a new P bass today. It has been gigged several times and it needs a little bit of cleaning. I have done the fret board clean before along with cleaning the body. However, I have noticed that the actual frets could use little polishing - how can I do it at home and not ruin them?
Also, what is the best way to clean metal knobs (and underneath) and the pickup?

Does anyone have a topic somewhere what steps should I do to refresh the bass and bring it back to life?

I can do the restring/setup myself, so that's not a problem.

I have tried to find similar topic on the forum but failed. If you there is one like that already - I do apologize about creating a new one. Please just send me to the old one and let's forget about it. I hope that this one is first though and there will be some useful information here.

I am looking forward to some feedback on this.

Thank you.

The knobs you refer to are the tone and volum? These will either have a screw in the side or they will simply pull off. If they have a screw, it will almost certainly have a hexagonal Allen key or a slot for a small flatblade screwdriver:loosen the screw and pull off. Then clean round with a damp cloth.

Never ever, ever in your life, clean or polish a bass (or furniture or anything) with silicone spray polish. Mr Pledge is the work of Satan. It makes the surface greasy and sticky and makes any re-spraying later impossible, even if you sand off the surface.

Clean the bridge and headstock by taking them apart and use metal polish. I use Solvol, but anything else like t-cut or brasso will do.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1479943453' post='3180551']
The knobs you refer to are the tone and volum?

Clean the bridge and headstock by taking them apart and use metal polish. I use Solvol, but anything else like t-cut or brasso will do.
[/quote]

Yes, I mean around the volume knobs - just wanted to know any specific product to use there because it's around the electronics, so in my mind - damp/wet cloth wasn't good. But I was wrong. Thank you for that.

Thank you for the tips.

What are your thoughts on metal wool for the frets and fret board (rosewood)?

Steel wool is ok for rosewood BUT use the finest grade you can get hold of and be gentle, mask off well everything that is electronic as little steel slivers get everywhere, and vacuum up well before removing any masking tape. Then condition the fret board afterwards with lemon oil or other proprietary fret board conditioners (plenty available in guitar shops). Old toothbrushes are your friend!

Take the knobs off to clean them - it makes life much easier. I use Autosol but any metal polish will be ok.

I would only use wire wool on the fretboard if it's looking seriously dirty and the fretsurrounding corroded, or if the wood between the frets is rough.

When I said "damp cloth", I do mean damp, not wet.

For conditioning the fretboard I'm not keen on lemon oil. I find it doesn't really do much. I prefer boiled linseed oil. Linseed oil is also cheaper.

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1479974048' post='3180641']
Steel wool is ok for rosewood BUT use the finest grade you can get hold of and be gentle, mask off well everything that is electronic as little steel slivers get everywhere, and vacuum up well before removing any masking tape. Then condition the fret board afterwards with lemon oil or other proprietary fret board conditioners (plenty available in guitar shops). Old toothbrushes are your friend!

Take the knobs off to clean them - it makes life much easier. I use Autosol but any metal polish will be ok.
[/quote]

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xhIciQNZkds
This is what I've found and I'm wondering if it will be enough for the frets to be smooth. I will do more research on YouTube as I think there should be more info than what I've found so far.
Do I need to give the frets a certain profile? How not to fu*k it up kind of question I guess...

For fretboard I have this nomad mix of oils that I got in a guitar shop.

If you're wanting to do a through job, you can also take off the pickguard and spray some contact cleaner spray into the back of the pots. ThE cleaner usually comes with a long tube. Poke that into any hole you can see in the pit case and give it a good spray and wind the pot back and forward.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1479976388' post='3180655']
If you're wanting to do a through job, you can also take off the pickguard and spray some contact cleaner spray into the back of the pots. ThE cleaner usually comes with a long tube. Poke that into any hole you can see in the pit case and give it a good spray and wind the pot back and forward.
[/quote]

I have also found that information but at the same time someone pointed out that high quality pots have graphite inside an that shouldn't be lubricated. How can I check if mine are graphite? I would assume Lakland is high quality...

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1479976605' post='3180656']
If you're seriously interested in maintaining guitars, try Dan Erlewine's book 'Guitar player repair guide'
[/quote]
I will definitely check it out. Thank you

[quote name='PawelG' timestamp='1479976143' post='3180654']

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xhIciQNZkds
This is what I've found and I'm wondering if it will be enough for the frets to be smooth. I will do more research on YouTube as I think there should be more info than what I've found so far.
Do I need to give the frets a certain profile? How not to fu*k it up kind of question I guess...

For fretboard I have this nomad mix of oils that I got in a guitar shop.
[/quote]

I normally like JC's videos, but wire wool will speed up the wear of the frets. I don't agree with using any abrasion on the fingerboard going across the grain: you should always rub wood with the grain. AND he used spray polish!! :o

There's a difference between polishing your frets and re-crowning them. A polish should merely be cleaning any gunk, tarnish and minor scratches. If the frets are in worse condition than that, and you don't have much experience with bass maintenance, then it's time to consult someone who knows what they are doing. Metal polish will not change the profile of the frets unless you spend days at it

[quote name='PawelG' timestamp='1479976692' post='3180659']

I have also found that information but at the same time someone pointed out that high quality pots have graphite inside an that shouldn't be lubricated. How can I check if mine are graphite? I would assume Lakland is high quality...
[/quote]
Not sure if I've heard that before or not. If in doubt leave cleaning the pots until they start crackling. If they are graphite and start to crackle, then you have nothing to lose. I've got Warwick basses and always used cleaner and it's always been ok and cleaned out any dirt. I don't do it often though; only if they look in a mess, which is normally when I buy the bass.

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1479977376' post='3180673']
There's a difference between polishing your frets and re-crowning them. A polish should merely be cleaning any gunk, tarnish and minor scratches. If the frets are in worse condition than that, and you don't have much experience with bass maintenance, then it's time to consult someone who knows what they are doing. Metal polish will not change the profile of the frets unless you spend days at it
[/quote]

They are not too bad at all, just scratched and markings. A couple of them are marked a little worse but I don't think it's that bad. I will consider taking the bass to the local shop to see what's going on. I just hope they're honest!

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1479977699' post='3180678']

Not sure if I've heard that before or not. If in doubt leave cleaning the pots until they start crackling. If they are graphite and start to crackle, then you have nothing to lose. I've got Warwick basses and always used cleaner and it's always been ok and cleaned out any dirt. I don't do it often though; only if they look in a mess, which is normally when I buy the bass.
[/quote]

Yeah, what's wrong with people?! They should keep the bass clean the way I do!

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1479984786' post='3180741']

Your bass will be minty fresh?
[/quote]

Thats the idea I guess. More crispy high end with that freshness.
Apparently it works as well as metal polish. I havent tried it so i dont have an opinion.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1479985378' post='3180749']
You'd better not take the bass out of its case after all this!
[/quote]

Hahaha, it's like that in every area of life. People have opinions and different ways to do stuff. But the bass is the most precious though, am I right? So, I believe there should be a guide of dos and donts for the most common materials used on our instruments. At the end of the day, I'm only thoroughly cleaning the bass to bring it back to its full potential, not building a new one!