Why become a member? ×

Envelope Filter, P Bass, Flats

Mykesbass

I know Youtube demos are severely limited by the sound quality, but I've listened to a lot of envelope filter reviews, and to my ears the MXR is by far my preferred (non-boutique) pedal, but running it a close second was a much cheaper Mooer. I had the opportunity to try one last night at rehearsal and was very disappointed. I got very little effect from the unit, and although it was all very quick, I did try running through a lot of settings.

Now, the big question, how much influence does the bass have on this type of effect. Nearly all the demos are done on Jazz basses with roundwounds, I play a fretless P Bass with flats. Am I trying to achieve the impossible with this set-up?

Thanks in advance.

My main setup involves a P with flats and an MXR envelope, sounds great!!
Yeah the only real difference is how the bass triggers the effect. So i'd argue similar tones are possible from an envelope with a J or P, but the pedal settings will be quite different!

Si

• 3 weeks later...

I think im right in saying that flats have less high frequency content (especially old ones) so the filter will not be able to cut the frequencies that arent there to begin with, so the filter sweep will be less noticeable.

I love my MXR and although i have 5 filters. its the only one permanently on the board. I do notice however how much more prominent the sweep is with fresh strings.

hope that helps