Why become a member? ×

Can you use a jack plug in a neutrik socket ?

essexbasscat

So, the guitarist in the band is adamant he can use a jack plug in a neutrik socket, but I'm quite dubious TBH.
I've attempted to fit a jack plug in the centre hole, but is seems to be a very tight fit, most unlike a usual jack socket. I honestly don't know if the centre hole of a neutrik socket has ring and tip connectors

Will it work in any shape or fashion ?

Cheers BC

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1480064426' post='3181337']
So, the guitarist in the band is adamant he can use a jack plug in a neutrik socket, but I'm quite dubious TBH.
I've attempted to fit a jack plug in the centre hole, but is seems to be a very tight fit, most unlike a usual jack socket. I honestly don't know if the centre hole of a neutrik socket has ring and tip connectors

Will it work in any shape or fashion ?

Cheers BC
[/quote]

Yes. That's exactly what it is designed for. Accepts XLR or 6.35mm jack.
If there's an issue it's with the plug.

Thought I'd ask this one, as one of my passive speaker cabs won't accept a 1/4" jack, neither will my Eden i-amp 800 at it's neutrik outputs

Both the plugs I mention above don't have the 'T' appearance of Hazbeen's picture - they have a complete ring around the centre hole. Not sure if this an indicator of something ?

Edited by essexbasscat

Hazbeen's picture is an XLR/jack combo socket made by Neutrik, the sort of thing you'd see on a line-level input. Since you're talking about Speakon connectors, most can't be used with 1/4" jacks. The Neutrik branded Speakon/jack sockets are dark green and have the word "combo" moulded into the plastic so should be fairly easy to spot - the black Neutrik Speakon sockets won't take a 1/4" jack.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1480075611' post='3181457']
Hazbeen's picture is an XLR/jack combo socket made by Neutrik, the sort of thing you'd see on a line-level input. Since you're talking about Speakon connectors, most can't be used with 1/4" jacks. The Neutrik branded Speakon/jack sockets are dark green and have the word "combo" moulded into the plastic so should be fairly easy to spot - the black Neutrik Speakon sockets won't take a 1/4" jack.
[/quote]

Of course, that is correct. Sorry about that (short night), the dark green ones are the Speakon versions that can take jacks.

Neutrik are a company that make a massive variety of connectors so "a Neutrik socket" is a broad and sweeping statement! They do manufacture combo XLR/jack sockets for line level signals, and combo Speakon/jack sockets for amps/cabs, but both are the exception rather than the rule when it comes to what kit manufacturers choose to fit on their products, as the combo versions are more costly.

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1480282234' post='3183099']
Neutrik are a company that make a massive variety of connectors so "a Neutrik socket" is a broad and sweeping statement! They do manufacture combo XLR/jack sockets for line level signals, and combo Speakon/jack sockets for amps/cabs, but both are the exception rather than the rule when it comes to what kit manufacturers choose to fit on their products, as the combo versions are more costly.
[/quote]

Very True. And they also own the Rean brand ( more focused on 'value' vs 'quality' but still pretty good ).
Along with Switchcraft from the USA they are the 'premium' 1/4 inch (6.35mm) jack and XLR connector manufacturers ( although the XLR was originated by Cannon and Deltron may dispute the quality issue).
But numerous other manufacturers exist and accuracy of the dimensions is sometimes not as good as it might be. This can lead to some difficulty in mating plugs and sockets from different brands.

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1480282234' post='3183099']
[/quote]

This is very true. I meant Speakon socket, I hope most people understood that after my description of it