Why become a member? ×

**SOLD** 2015 Ibanez Soundgear SRFF806 Fanned Fret 6 String Bass
£700

therealting

2015 Ibanez Soundgear SRFF806 "fanned-fret" six string bass. Purchased as I've always wanted a six string with narrow spacing, active/passive electronics and fanned frets, and this ticked all those boxes - alas the neck is just a little too slim for me and I can't play it for long periods. I've literally only just had it set up by the brilliant boys at Feline Guitars (Jonathan and Tom), and the action is beautifully on the low side of medium. This same bass model is a favourite of no less a luminary in the bass world than Dave Swift who plays with Jools Holland, and anyone who has tried fanned frets will attest that it takes mere minutes to get used to it. Beautifully balanced sound with a tight low B (35.5") and a singing high C (33.6"). Swamp ash body with beautiful grain finished in antique charcoal grey, very stable five piece laminate neck, bar inlays, cosmo black hardware, custom 3-band Ibanez electronics with selectable mids and active/passive switch. Strung (I believe) with the original D'Addario roundwounds in good nick. I've added a small piece of foam under the strings at the headstock to stop the strings ringing beyond the nut, but it is very easily removable if you wish (I think it looks better in addition to making acoustic practice more tolerable as the bass is so resonant).

Lots of high res photos here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lmprmyabgos98dh/AAAqMVqsgdNh4Ag6xYQ-u0Sja?dl=0

Absolutely immaculate condition, has never left the house other than going to get set up, I can't find a scratch or dent anywhere. £849 new, £700 ono.

I am based in London, SE3.

Edited by therealting

[quote name='cheesemaster' timestamp='1481287814' post='3191223']
Really looking to try one of these since I'm not enjoying your comfort of the Dingwall too much, how does it compare to the combustion line? Always like ibby necks, how does it compare to their necks from the BTB and high end SR range ?
[/quote]

I'm not too familiar with the BTB necks or the other SRs, but compared with the Combustion I had (MK 1) the neck is slimmer and of course wider... however the spacing is slightly narrower. It's also obviously shorter in scale and the fan is less extreme.

Presumably the Combustion is what you have now.

[quote name='cheesemaster' timestamp='1481287814' post='3191223']
Really looking to try one of these since I'm not enjoying your comfort of the Dingwall too much, how does it compare to the combustion line? Always like ibby necks, how does it compare to their necks from the BTB and high end SR range ?
[/quote]

They are SR necks and feel basically like them, so not that much like the BTB which are a different shape. Maybe not quite as silky finish as the 4 digit SRs, but the same basic dimensions, very similar to the 50x/70x. The frets are noticeably different from the Dingwalls though, much fatter, and the difference between the strings is not as great as the dingwall so the angle of the frets is less noticable at the ends (especially at the high end).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...