Why become a member? ×

Help identify this bas please: A Pearl Bass

Raposa

Hello All,

I looked and looked at the internet and I can not find it ....
My late husband left me some instruments. There is an electric bass guitar with the name Pearl. Because I do not play any instrument (sorry :mellow: ) I want to sell it but I do not know how much I can ask for it.
Can any one help me please????

[url="http://s350.photobucket.com/user/happyinportugalRaposa/library/Pearl%20Bass%20Guitar?sort=3&page=1"]http://s350.photobuc...r?sort=3&page=1[/url]

Kind regards,
Jeannette[/indent]

Edited by Raposa

Hi Jeannette,

Sorry to hear about your husband. It looks a nice bass. I can't help, but may I suggest you change the title of the thread to something like "Help identify this bass?".
That way you might get more comments.

In the meantime, have a great weekend and have a bump to the thread.

Looks like an early 1970s, Japanese made copy of a Fender Jazz Bass. There should be a metal plate with screws on the back where the neck meets body, and it often has "Made in Japan" engraved on it. I'd say it's early 1970s since the pickups (the metal covered things under the strings) are not like Fender ones but are typical of earlier Japanese and other far Eastern made copies of American designs. It could be a very good instrument, but quality was quite variable at this point in Japanese guitar building, and they don't fetch very high prices. They do have their fans though, who refer to them affectionately as Jap Crap - not in a derogatory way, more of a tongue in cheek way.

We have a member who goes by the name of Bassassin, and he's the expert on these kinds of instruments - he'll probably notice and post a reply soon, but if not I'll message him.

By the way, Pearl is a Japanese musical instrument company that are most famous for their drums. They probably didn't make this bass guitar themselves, as there were a number of factories that made them for various other companies and foreign importers. I have seen very similar, possibly identical versions of your bass guitar with other brand names - such as "Seville" for example:

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1480084016' post='3181555']
Hi Jeannette,

Sorry to hear about your husband. It looks a nice bass. I can't help, but may I suggest you change the title of the thread to something like "Help identify this bass?".
That way you might get more comments.

In the meantime, have a great weekend and have a bump to the thread.
[/quote] Many thanks fpr your comment, but I can not change the tiltle, need to make a new one! For you allso a wonderful weekend! And by the way: I am blond and Dutch so what does bump to the thread means????

[quote name='Raposa' timestamp='1480085843' post='3181579']
Many thanks fpr your comment, but I can not change the tiltle, need to make a new one! For you allso a wonderful weekend! And by the way: I am blond and Dutch so what does bump to the thread means????
[/quote]

You can edit the title. Go into Edit the first post and at the bottom of the editor frame and sellect "Use Full Editor". That will allow you to edit the title.

It's ok, we have no problem with blonde, Dutch ladies here. You're more than welcome. :D

Bump is a phrase for "Back Up, .... eerrr... I don't know. But it means it pushes your thread back to the top of the pile again. :)

A great guy round here for this kind of thing is Jon - otherwise known as BassAssassin. He's a real historian, especially with all things Japanese. If you hear nothing more, then a private message to him could be a good idea. Welcome to Basschat.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1480092935' post='3181652']
You can edit the title. Go into Edit the first post and at the bottom of the editor frame and sellect "Use Full Editor". That will allow you to edit the title.

It's ok, we have no problem with blonde, Dutch ladies here. You're more than welcome. :D

Bump is a phrase for "Back Up, .... eerrr... I don't know. But it means it pushes your thread back to the top of the pile again. :)

A great guy round here for this kind of thing is Jon - otherwise known as BassAssassin. He's a real historian, especially with all things Japanese. If you hear nothing more, then a private message to him could be a good idea. Welcome to Basschat.
[/quote] Many Thanxxx Grangur !!

[quote name='Raposa' timestamp='1480085843' post='3181579']
Many thanks fpr your comment, but I can not change the tiltle, need to make a new one! For you allso a wonderful weekend! And by the way: I am blond and Dutch so what does bump to the thread means????
[/quote]
Now that made me laugh

Bump just means pushing it back up to the top of the list as "recently updated"

Jeannette has PM'd me about the bass, but at the moment I'm away from home & posting from a temperamental mobile device so I can't do a great deal of meaningful research!

I've asked her for more & detailed images but can tell a few things from the pics she's posted - however not enough for any definitive identification. More to follow once I get back 'ome...

Back home and had the opportunity to look at additional pics Jeannette sent and do a bit of digging. I think it's an early 70s Moridaira build, with Maxon pickups. Neck style (round cornered inlays to the 17th fret) point to early 70s, as do the pickups.

It's a bit neglected and needs a new nut & the bridge sorting out. Can't tell what else it might need, so suggested Jeannette could pop it into a local music shop and get it looked at.

I was in Portugal last week - if Jeannette's anywhere near Lisbon I could have had given it a once-over myself!

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1480596431' post='3185692']
Back home and had the opportunity to look at additional pics Jeannette sent and do a bit of digging. I think it's an early 70s Moridaira build, with Maxon pickups. Neck style (round cornered inlays to the 17th fret) point to early 70s, as do the pickups.

It's a bit neglected and needs a new nut & the bridge sorting out. Can't tell what else it might need, so suggested Jeannette could pop it into a local music shop and get it looked at.

I was in Portugal last week - if Jeannette's anywhere near Lisbon I could have had given it a once-over myself!
[/quote]

Why did you not tell me you where in Portugal ???
So, PLEASE, the next time give me a call and you can see the Pearl Bass for yourself !!! :lol:

Edited by Raposa

• 2 weeks later...