Why become a member? ×

Glossy Neck Experiences

thegummy

Was set on buying a 50s P but when I was trying it out I was concerned about the glossy neck. I'm wondering if that might be because I was focused on it. I always think it's very hard to judge a guitar properly in a shop by playing it for 10 minutes with a critical viewpoint.

Looking at the range, it seems that outside the Standard, all Fender basses pretty much have glossy necks. So surely they must be fine?

Another thing, I had completely forgot that my favourite guitar actually has a glossy neck and I'd just never even thought about it.

What's your experiences with glossy necks?

My own thoughts are generally, that I don't like glossy necks.
That said, I've one or two with glossy necks, and they are fine.
I'm not sure whether they are different materials, but that must make a difference?

One of my basses is a Squier CV P bass. That's the glossiest neck I have, yet it doesn't seem to get "sticky" to touch, no matter how hot & sweaty my hands get. It somehow feels "vintage". Is this me imagining it? I don't know, but I've previously owned a bass with a glossy neck, and that was terrible to play in hot weather...

My 2 Fender Roadworns have a bit of a satin-y sort of "sheen" to them, and feel lovely
I've played 1 or 2 basses with sanded necks, and they felt a bit too "matt" to me - they seemed to have a bit of a drag feel to them

Perhaps you could lightly sand the glossy neck? Lots of people do this sort of thing

IME glossy necks look and feel great. All the basses I use regularly (Gus, Sei, Warwick Starbass) have high gloss necks and I've never had any problems with them. Maybe the finish that these manufacturers use is more suitable than that found on cheaper instruments?

The stickiest necks I've ever come across were on new Warwicks with an oil? finish, followed by a Traben bass that had such a thin satin finish on the neck, I could feel the grain of the wood. Neither were very nice to play.

Never really understood high gloss necks apart from the fact they look great. For me I don't like them. Seems to hinder my playing when I'm moving my left hand, not a nice feeling especially with fast playing. I seem to have to unattach my left hand to play somewhere higher on the neck, and I don't really sweat. Love a satin neck. Or, I just rub the whole neck in Castrol GTX

My new Old Smoothue Stingray has one but it's not sticky at all - in fact the neck is as slick as the oil and wax finish ones I have.

I have a 93 Fretless and fretted Ray and a 2010 Classic Ray all with lacquered shiny necks - none are sticky - all are slick and fast.

Musicman clearly know how to make a very playable and slick neck - I suspect there in lies the rub - some manufacturers go the extra mile and others are not so bothered.

Edited by drTStingray

There's probably a technique thing at play too, those that grab onto the neck like their life depends on it are going to have more problems sliding up and down the neck than those who grasp gently with their thumb 'resting' against the neck aren't they? I've noticed it more with neck dive prone basses with glossy necks where you spend all your time holding the thing up!

I've got three basses; a Spector Euro, a Warwick SS1 and an EBMM Sterling. Both the Spector and the Warwick have glossy necks, where as the Sterling has an oil and wax neck. To be honest, of all the necks, I prefer the two glossy ones - they just feel more "finished". It all comes down to personal taste I suppose.

Interesting point about different types of gloss, I hadn't thought about it until now, prompted by this thread to go and try mine.

Two of my GMRs, the Bassforce 5 (my first and true love) and the fretless 4, have velvet matt necks, I don't even notice them when I'm playing. The top-end Flow-In 5 has a gloss neck and my hand just sticks on it, even in a cool room with a light touch.

So I assumed "I don't get on with gloss necks" - but my Jazz Aerodyne, which also plays as easy as a dream, has a gloss neck! I don't know enough about it to understand the differences between the exact finishes, but the Jazz is somehow "less gloss" to the hand although it looks as shiny.

It's nothing to do with care in manufacture (at least in this case), the build and finish quality on GMRs is as good as you could dream of.

I love the gloss necks on my Squier VM P and Fender Modern Player J. Neither are remotely expensive basses and I've never found them to be at all sticky.
My Sterling Sub Ray has a satin neck which does feel great to play too but I'd prefer it if it was gloss - just not quite enough to bother getting it refinished.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1480095520' post='3181676']
1200 grit wet and dry up and down the playing area, gloss gone. Bit of cutting compound at a later date and it's glossy again if you want to sell it on. :)
[/quote]

This.

Although in the majority of cases with my students, a technique change has alleviated any 'sticky neck' problems on any bass.